Quote Originally Posted by TSGames View Post
You make some good points. I'll take it a bit farther.

I think Attack on Titan is actually a bad anime, however, it is pretty enough to make up for its glaring flaws. The plot is predictable i.e. most plot twists would difficult to not figure out beforehand, the characters are linear and the author seems to think that backstory counts as character development, not to mention that most of the characters are only thinly veiled stereotypes. However, it is very very well animated, the action sequences are nice and that goes for miles to cover up its massive flaws. I'll keep watching, but I think you would be hard pressed to call the writing of this anime 'good' on any meaningful level.
For me, the biggest thing the show has going for it is the setting (and, like you said, the awesome visuals). I really enjoy seeing the setting spin out and get uncovered, piece by piece. One of the main reasons why the Trost arc irked me so much. Well, okay--and I like Armin the Smartie and Sasha the Potato Girl, and though Mikasa is basically a standard vulnerable badass, I still appreciate her.

Other note: I've been really coming to prefer the second OP, especially after listening to the full version. Which is weird. I like to think of it as the overlooked younger sibling, because the first opening is so awesomely bombastic and memetic that everybody wants it back.