1. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming (Cold Days Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I've been considering checking out Butcher's other series, Codex Alera. What's it like, especially in comparison to The Dresden Files?
    Alera consists of one main story arc, which is fitting given it's size. So, compared to DF, it moves a lot faster, and starts out with a grander scope(the first two DF's are very local in nature, while Alera starts out National/continental).

The magic system is fun to think about, I personally think the world building is both good and well integrated(IE, you don't have walls of text telling you stuff, you generally find stuff out as you go along). It's in many ways more defined than the DF system, at least partially because the character's aren't limited like Harry is regarding knowledge.

Also, it manages some often poorly used plot elements in ways that are refreshing, though I can't get much into which elements without massive spoilers.

It jumps perspectives more, and isn't written in the First person, so that's something different. Also, people tend towards a bit more verbal snark, rather than Harry's mostly internal.

Personally, I love it(and it's the source of my UserName).
    Last edited by Tavar; 2013-08-23 at 12:21 AM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune