1. - Top - End - #1092
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

And so it came to pass that in their not quite infinite wisdom, the leaders of Mafol Laltur have decided that it is time to send another one of those Armok-forsaken expeditions into the wilderness in the vain hope of starting a new dwarven colony. And who else should be appointed the overseer of this foolish venture, but myself? While I realize that my brilliant designs aren't always seen that way by my peers, especially those unfortunate enough to be on the wrong end of a superweapon test, or there when it misfires, or just in the way when some madman pulls the doomsday lever at the wrong time, but those aren't deaths caused by DESIGN FLAWS! They are quite simply operator error and the result of bad leadership on the parts of those in charge! The Royal Architectural Academy had no right to disbar me from practicing fortress design like they did. That flooding was a classic case of overseer malfeasance.

At any rate, I know my duty as colonization overseer, and so after picking up the map to the site as detailed by the Royal Exploratory Society, I set about gathering the materials that I knew any starting fortress would need.
    Spoiler
    Show

The standard assortment of tools, some crundles for egglaying, enough food drink and seeds to feed us until the winter caravan at least, and some lumber to kickstart our industrial ambitions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now to see what morons that the RES has decided to saddle me with in their efforts to banish me to my death on the edge of the evil lands to the south. "Expanding the borders of dwarven civilization" my ass. If they wanted to do that, this would be a military expedition of 50, not seven civilians.

Let's see, the official dossiers....

Spoiler
    Show

here they are. There is of course, yours truly:

Luzahn, a good carpenter, I've worked with her before, never been anything but pleased.

Psionic Dog I haven't met, but word over at the Farming League is that she knows her business. No taste in music though.

Sohala, a miner who does a bit of smithing on the side. Odd combination, but sounds respectable enough, especially if we have trouble attracting a good migrant smith from the mountainhomes.

Grim Portent, a veteren hammerdwarf with a good record, if a bit standoffish. Still there are worse qualities in a military woman than professionalism. I shall be quite pleased to work with her if she is as good as they say.

turbo164, another miner, this one who has a secondary specialization in masonry. Another excellent pick on the part of the Royal Exploratory Society staff. If I didn't know better, I would say that they are actually trying to give us a good crew here. Only one name left on the list.

No... No, say it isn't so.... nonoNoNoNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NOT HIM! not the Wookietank I knew there had to be a catch. This was shaping up too bloody well! I knew it, I KNEW it, I BLOODY KNEW IT! They're trying to kill me, and saddling me with this psycopath is clearly just the latest effort. We're doomed. DOOMED I say.

Well, after the indignity of breaking down and weeping in the main throughfare, I apparently got completely blitzed on swamp whiskey and punched three different dwarves and threw a table at some high up muckity-muck noble in charge of the RES personnel division, and was sentenced to four hammer-strikes. Once that indignity was over, I woke to a splitting headache on this wagon with the others as we made our way out the gates of the Mountainhome. A quick inventory showed that at least we had the gear I had requisitioned, but Grim Portent calmly informed me that she had orders for what would happen if I were to undertake any "rash actions that would endanger the Westlances expedition." Apparently the rest of the group has come up with that name while I was blacked out. Not the best of starts to a journey, but indignity aside, this is going about as well as I expected, which is to say not quite catastrophically. Yet.

The journey took almost two months on a southern westerly route from the mountainhomes. About half of that was done on the human trade-roads that they are so fond of building, and I have to admit that those roads saved us at least another whole month of traveling. We didn't arrive in the best of condition, but it is spring and it looks like the start of a bright new chapter in all of our lives. I hope only that the ominous earthquake that occurred as we reached our destination wasn't a sign from the gods that this is all just another doomed folly on our part.

As we let the wagon slow to a halt in the aftermath of the tremors, I set about drawing a map of the surface of our new home.
    Spoiler
    Show

ooc: nothing against you wookietank, it is just that after what happened with FLOODER, I felt it appropriate that my dwarf would have some animosity towards yours.

I have begun laying out the plans for our new home. They may have banished us to the wilds, but they say that the best revenge is to live well, and so out here, we shall live as KINGS!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2013-09-03 at 02:25 PM.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.