1. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Aha! Sweet confirmation!

It's going to be SO MUCH FUN to read what you'll have to write about Tarquin in the book.
    100+ This. My wife only reads the Books. I WANT TO DISCUSS THIS WITH HER SO MUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I would call it a reflection, not foreshadowing, because I didn't really think it was a secret. Like, at all. He's said that he was obviously the Main Villain of Elan's story several times, it just didn't affect what actually happened much until now.
    It's not so much that it was a secret, as that the idea that he'd misread the Xykon plot completely, rather than just choosing to focus on his own personal plot (as the sub-plot relating to him), was what I missed.

I figured he knew Elan wasn't really the leader (which is sort of true), but not that he thought he could de-rail the plot by killing Roy thus forcing Elan into the narrative role of leader.

What I like is that, if he does manage to kill Roy, he's effectively *right*. Xykon is Roy's quest. If he dies, Elan and Haley would become the core long-term protagonists, and the main plot would revolve around their quest to get revenge for Roy, Elan's mentor, on Elan's father. Obviously, he's not going to kill Roy again (unless there's hidden value in DStP II: Another Turn of the Revolving Door), but it's not like he's completely misread it, he just thinks he can manipulate the narrative (when that power belongs only to the Giant).

I love this storyline so much.
    Last edited by deworde; 2013-09-06 at 07:33 AM.
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

"What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!