Never make a playing a character dependent on writing something for the story thread. Sweet Christmas, this took longer than I wanted.

So I can get back to playing this character, here's Lola Anez in HELP WANTED.

Spoiler
Show
“Do you have any experience?” is the question that has been plaguing her all day. Interviewer after interviewer who had been willing to see her at such short notice have unfortunately touched upon a question she couldn’t talk around.

Lola was educated, three years into education and English courses at her college. She was friendly and got on well with every interviewer. They had even been accepting about her leather jacket, as she had no other clothes after being dropped in the nexus. They would believe whatever she told them, but she couldn’t bring herself to lie, and that’s what kept tripping her up.
Yes she had years of education, but she had yet to take a course as a student teacher. Every time she was asked that question, her pragmatism went up against her honor and her honor one. She would answer, “No but…” and then try to give a convincing argument, but they fell on deaf ears.
They would thank her for her honesty. Recommend some places or courses to get back on the educational fast track, maybe teach within a year. She took note of it, of course, but education would pay rent money. She couldn’t go back to Kayden, who’d been so generous as to let her stay with him, without something.

Walking around, hoping for some opportunity to fall out of the sky, a help wanted sign caught her eye. It was attached behind the window of a small diner. She knew diners, after five years trying to get by without her parents; she had experience as a waitress. She hesitated. It would be falling right back into a routine you were trying to get the hell out of.

Yeah, but rent, and education, if she wanted to follow her dream, cost money, and she owed it to her friend.

She walked in and looked around, only two tables were occupied at the moment, two tables of folks just talking over soda, and the waitress was taking a probably well deserved lunch break at the counter. It was probably after the lunch rush if this was the case. The old cook was chatting it up with the waitress. She politely cleared her throat to get their attention. When they looked at her she pointed a thumb at help wanted sign. “Scuse me? Do you need another waitress?”

The cook looked at the waitress at the counter and tilted his head towards the other end. She got the hint and moved to the end so Lola and the cook could talk with a semblance of privacy.

“Yeah we are,” he answered. “Do you have any experience?” Right to that question, huh? Not nearly as much pageantry as her interviews at the public schools.

“Five years.“ she replied.

“Any special skills?”

“I can turn into a wolf,” Lola answered, very blasé about it. The cook raised an eyebrow and Lola nodded. She was entirely serious about this.

Scratching his chin he tilted his head and asked, “So you can work the night shift?”

“Yeah.” Lola said, starting a smile.

“Your hired.” He said, sticking out wrinkly hand that Lola gratefully accepted. “I can get you a uniform tomorrow, be here ‘round noon, get you get yourself in the swing of things.”

“That’ll be fine. Thank you. See you tomorrow.” And with that she left. It would be embarrassing to explain, but it had been a long enough day. She wanted to crash on her new couch. The day after tomorrow she would have to sign up for some of those fast track courses. Right now she needed a nap.