In spite of himself, Ty cracked a slight smile.

Out of everything they could have in my file, they bothered to waste ink including my favourite food?

The smile promptly disappeared, however.

On the other hand, if they have details as minor as that, what else is in there? Just how closely are they keeping tabs on us?
NERV has been monitoring me my entire life. This isn't new.
Well yeah, but not every minute of every day.

Ty grabbed his platter and sat back down, but hesitated in removing the lid After a moment he tilted it open and peeked inside. Chicken, mashed potatoes, and veggies, just like Mom used to make. Sort of. As close as cafeteria food could get.
He appreciated the effort.

He glanced up at the others and noticed Layla apparently trying to stare down her 'food', and felt a pang of guilt.
He glanced down at his own meal and closed his eyes.

Don't do it. I'll draw attention to myself, and apparently this comes from higher up. Don't want to piss them off.
She didn't look particularly happy before, and she looks miserable now. At home everyone was always happy at mealtime. I can't let this continue.
She doesn't really look like she wants my pity.
This isn't pity. I'm trying to be nice. She looks like she could use a friend.
... Because I'm an expert in that field, right?
Enough. I've made my decision.

Without a word Ty stood up and began slowly walking, listening to the Commander's talk about 'smart phones' as he went. Despite the sunglasses, he kept his gaze aimed at his feet, partly out of embarrassment and partly out of fear that eye contact with anyone else in the room would break his resolve. He remained staring at his shoes even as he arrived at his destination beside Layla, where he waited only a moment for the Commander to finish her description.
"Um, if you want, I'd be willing to share. It's nothing fancy, just some chicken and potatoes." His voice was quiet, and there was a nervous quake to it. "I, uh, don't eat much and there's too much for me here anyways." Despite staring at the floor, he gave a nervous laugh tried to punctuate his white lie with a smile.
He was unsure of its success.
He gathered himself and continued. "After all, we're..." He paused to remember "...'Eva Team Awesome'. Partners. We need to look out for each other, right?"

He couldn't bring himself to actually check, but he felt sure something like this would draw looks. Oh god, this was embarrassing. He unconsciously shrank back a little, withering somewhat under what he was sure was the gaze of everyone in the room, even if he couldn't confirm it for himself, fixated on the floor as he was.
Nonetheless, he stood firm and awaited a response, pointedly not looking at anyone, but especially Layla or the Commander.