View Single Post

Thread: Shadowrun Topic(Talk & Questions)

1. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shadowrun Topic(Talk & Questions)

A lot of this confused me, i couldn't really lock down the point you were making in many of these statements, but heck, i will have a crack at responding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    The real question is, how paranoid are you, how paranoid is the GM, and how much do you get paid per week of running?
    Is it a simple smash and grab where a fast car and a spray of bullets gets you in and out? Or do you have to case the joint, make false identities, and all that fun jazz? After you get out, do you disappear or do you head straight back to your day job?

Depending on how your GM reacts, you're either gonna be lost amongst the paperwork, or the GM is gonna set in motion crap that rolls you.
    Ok if your GM is out to nail you, you will get nailed... not much you can do about it so moving on.

If you are trying to run the shadows and keep a SINer job going on the side then eventually one is going to make you loose the other. It's inevitable in my mind, unless you are in some sort of Superman/Clark situation where people find out and then die an episode or two after.

Think a SIN is expensive? How about losing your lifestyle and all the fancy guns/ammo you left at your safehouse?
    Its not often i see a Runner with an actual SIN, most players seem to have their actually SIN deleted or didn't have one to begin with. I have seen a few Runners played with criminal SIN's to make things interesting. Fake SIN's is another thing, but in saying that. My theory is quantity beats quality. You may need a good fake SIN or two for certain situations, but a hand full of cheap crappy ones can be amazingly useful for a lot of the work that needs doing.

Most automated systems won't put a SIN under too much evaluation, they will tag it, add it to their log and move on. If some one figures out it was fake later on who cares.

Moral of the story is don't waste a good fake SIN on low key work.

And lifestyles is another one i never bank on. Its a dangerous line of work shadowrunning, its volatile so when things are good live it up but always have a bit stashed away for when they go bad again. Here are a few tips with protecting your life style;

Don't take your work home with you. Sure keep a gun or two in your house but don't turn the place into an armory. That's what stash spots and safe houses are for. Don't use it as a meeting point, don't lay low their if people are looking for you.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Get a couple of nice pads around the place rather then one really nice one.

Don't **** on your land lord. If your building is run by a corp, avoid work that targets them. If its run by an independent, look after the chummer.

Keep your money in a reputable shadowbank. It will cost you but it will be harder for the Corps to target.

Leave some equipment stashes with a few contacts or friends. Doesn't have to be much but a fire arm, a basic comlink with a fake SIN, a change of cloths or two and some med's can come in really handy in a pinch.

What if your GM gives out dangerous jobs that pay well? Then it makes sense to be super paranoid because paying well = suicide job. Only the most dangerous corporations have stuff worth several months of luxury lifestyle.

Here's a quick example of how a job can change depending on the GM. Say you case a joint, and then use a stolen car as a getaway vehicle. If the GM is anal retentive, then he tries to pin the stolen car to your SIN.
    Which SIN? If it was a hot run with weapons live was i even running one? Or if i had to was it just another crappy one that would quickly show up as being fake?

Does he want to run a check for DNA when the vehicle turns up? Go nuts. for a hand full of ¥ at the local hospital or body shop you can get your hands on a few liters of medical waste. Throw that over the interior before you burn it and your apples.

If he wants to, he could start doing putting two and two together to put a bounty on your comlink.
    Dump it? or get it cleaned by your groups hacker.

After the job is done, does the GM make the corp you robbed put out extra resources for revenge?
    This is possible, depends on the corp, depends on the run i guess. But never forget the golden rule of shadowrun... everything is for sale.... so make a deal.

So then the question becomes, how much work do you need to do before the GM is satisfied? The best thing to do is to have a plan that has an intentional weakness but you already secretly planned for. This takes care of the GM's urge to "challenge" players.
    I don't think "challenging" players is an urge, it is text book GMing. Play a game where your characters are never challenged, see how fun it is after a few sessions.

But once again, if your GM is an ass, then your gonna get screwed no matter what. In this case, take the money you would have spent on fake SIN and other such stuff and spend it on high powered weapons, ammo, body Armour and explosives, lots and lots of explosives.

All that said, I'd hold off on taking jobs that require burning a high quality SIN, or even a low quality one if I could help it.
    Solid advice, and don't kill anybody unless your paid to. No point turning a b&e into a murder unless you have too.
    Last edited by Kaun; 2013-10-23 at 08:53 PM.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.