1. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A Book of Words: An Expanded Truenamer Fix [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Good luck with that project. I'm not going to try something that ambitious.
    It's been sitting on my hard drive half-finished since 4e dropped. >_>
    Incarnum is always worth the effort. It's such a flexible system, it just is so different from the other systems of magic that it's hard to figure out what to do with it.

I'll always remember my Arena Totemist who blasted through his opponents by adapting to their particular build and countering it.
    You've had more success than me, then. I found the lack of teeth simply too extreme to make really playable for any sort of feasible character, cool as I find the fluff.
    What exactly would the fluff on a Warlock/Truespeaker combo be? Using Truespeak to manipulate the wording on the contract for your soul?
    That works one way. Another way is to use the contract on your soul as a bargaining chip for the secret facets of the True Tongue known only to those beings who pre-date the world itself and heard it being woven into place.
    Or, for an extra touch of finesse, use Truenaming as a kind of Metamagic for their Invocations. Hybrid power sources are always fun.
    Dark Speech was from Book of Vile Darkness, right? That's one I don't have. Where was Words of Creation from?
    Book of Exalted Deeds (and there is an extremely brief name-check of Dark Speech in one of the Warlock's Invocations). I like my language magic, so this is a recurring thing I keep going back to.

Dark Speech basically functioned by taking ability damage to empower & bond together evil characters, drive away good & break down objects. Words of Creation basically function by taking nonlethal damage to boost Bardic Music, doubling the duration on Conjuration (Creation) spells (that's costless), boosting the caster level of good spells/items & learning Personal True Names. All great fun.
    When I said other systems, I meant other subsystems in D&D. Like, do we need support for something in Forgotten Realms or for Ninjas or some such.
    Well, fluff-wise, the official book & FR section of the WotC website has some decent stuff on where truenamers fit into the setting (not knowing Eberron, I don't know how well-covered it is there). I do think that Truenaming could have a place in d20 Modern, though. It's a better match for the power scale than Vancian casting, anyhow.