View Single Post

Thread: Tooth and Tentacle [base class PEACH]

1. - Top - End - #1115
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

I'm playing around with a radically different approach to the ozodrin's flavor and mechanics and I would appreciate some input, it will likely turn into a pathfinderesque ACF or a spinoff class.

Basically what I want is for each feature of the ozodrin to be independently sentient and connected as a hive-mind.

Take for example the spell Dancing Chains http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-vi...g-chains--234/

Essentially, 1 feature/level can be controlled independently, using 1/2 BAB + Dex of the caster without bonuses, ect.

A fighter however must dedicate a FRA for multiple attacks, so an obvious datapoint would be to severely limit the amount of attacks made as a SA and allow them all as a FRA.

Kurapika from Hunter X Hunter, Doctor Octopus, Yura of the Hair from Inuyasha, The Phantom Limbs from Elfenlied, The main character from Basalisk (who else)?

Question!: How does the balance relate to ozodrin if you were to have features that don't damage the user when attacked, and each feature may grapple as if a separate creature?

In-Thread Draft for ACF Shell
    -----------
    TETHER 3.P Class
    • HD6
    • BAB 1/2
    • Fort Bad Ref Bad Will Bad
    • 4 Skillpoints (12CS)
    • Light Armor No Shields
    • No more attacks than 1/2lvl + Int
    • All Class-Based Attacks Considered Primary
    • Gain 1 questionably visible intangible tether per level, each tether can be individually controlled but only interacts with unattended objects unless otherwise stated.
    • As a swift action make all tethers tangible or intangible.
    • Limited combat maneuver usage with tethers, using your CMB and CMD.
    • Each tether may lift or control 2lbs/levelē (2*Level*Level) of weight, you may use multiple tethers to lift heavier objects.

-----------

Some things up to tackle:
    -How long are the tethers at any given level?
    -By picking up objects how does one scale it's improvised weapon damage? (I want this to work similar to teramach actually).
    -Picking up slippery objects I want to be more difficult by wrapping it around several times, but I also want tethers to grow sort of harpoon things to attack objects and allies, easily grabbing onto them and swinging them around on successful damage.
    -I want this to be an assassin type class (not necessarily a full grappler utility like ozodrin). I want damage to be increased by critical hits more than anything but I also feel the pull for nonlethal options. I want the tethers to have a wide range in options such as being as thin as hair or be as thick as a galleon anchor and chain. I want to add different heads and protrusions along the tethers such as dancing chains' barbs or huge morning stars.
    -I'm thinking Lurk is a good parallel to draw from but I've never made one, any tips with that?
    -I may just go for an alternate feature system to manage this.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2013-12-02 at 08:23 AM.