Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
As far as I can tell Gone Home is the award winning universally acclaim, universally despised piece of garbage worst game of the year ever, based on on a casual internet look into it. So which is it? The game everyone hates to love or the game everyone loves to hate?Please don't just say "Yes"
Gone Home's...interesting. I spent about 3 hours on it front to back. The first issue is that the replay value is exactly 0.

It's definitely a game in the same way To The Moon is a game: it's really all story. Anything that might qualify as a puzzle is pretty easily solved, there are no enemies or anything like that: it's just you, the house, and the things that have been left behind.

The interesting part is piecing together what's going on by examing what's lying around. The unfortunate part (for me at least) was that I was able to accurately guess what had happened in the main storyline (there is a main and two subs) almost immediately. It's painfully obvious where the main storyline is going once you recognize the signs. But still, the idea where you have to sift through what's been left behind and piece together what's going on is a good one and the experience here didn't disappoint in that regard.

Exploration is fun and it's cool that even though the only living thing in the house is you it still feels a little like a horror game. It can be downright creepy to explore the house: rooms are dark, most rooms are in complete disarray, there's a storm on...

I can't say I was disappointed, I like supporting experiments like this, but I can definitely see where some people probably got the wrong idea about what the game was about.

Spoiler: MAJOR story spoiler
Show
...and I'd be lying if I said I didn't suspect that much of the hate leveled at the game has to do with the fact that the main storyline is about the main character's sister discovering she's homosexual.

But then again, having no faith in the gamer "community" will do that to someone...