1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC

OOC || Dice

Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC
    --

13:00, Saturday, Late Autumn, CI 200
    Market Square, Capel Kerig, Cymru, Hindrun, Prime Material Plane

The market square is buzzing with activity. People flit about from shop to shop, to roadside stall, to private homes, and to taverns and back again. The city’s bells chime once. The afternoon sun of late autumn has finally warmed the cobblestone and roof shingles, and Capel Kerig’s market district will be pleasantly warm for the next few hours before the cold breeze to the sea steals the heat as the sun sinks below the horizon. A cloud passes over the sun, and a few people not warmly-dressed shiver and curse the god of their choice for the sudden cold, or utter a quick prayer for warmer weather. Soon enough, it passes, and the sun shines on the square again.

Horns sound in the distance. The keener-eared folk suddenly stop and listen; most shrug, and go about their business, and some others turn and quickly make their way inside. A small group of city guards shoo people out of the middle of the streets, and you can hear someone shouting: “Make way! The army returns! General Holtti and Prince Brynne’s army is coming home! Victory is ours!”

Caught near to each other in the crowd are a handful of unusual individuals. A tall, muscular man in gleaming mithril armor looks over the peasants, a glaive stowed behind his back. There is an elven woman with wild chestnut hair, who seems somewhat unnerved by the oppressive mass of people, and a short, middle-aged man who smells slightly of alcohol and seems lost in thought. Next to them stands a grey elf with silver hair and a stern, determined look about him. He flicks the hair out of his face as they wait for the army to return.

--

The horns sound again, this time much closer. A man behind you sighs heavily and gruffly mutters “Are they really going to parade around the whole city this time too? At least I don’t have to watch Brynne and Holtti bicker for the whole procession now that I’m not in the service. You’d think someone stuck pins in their sides the way they go at it… I’m honestly surprised they can keep it together well enough to command the same bloody army!” He sighs again, and then begins to push his way to the back of the crowd, saying to no one in particular: “Tell Amanda that I’ve gone to clean the rooms. I heard through the grapevine we’ve got a few important guests from out of town that are going to be staying tonight, and gods forbid there’s a damned speck in one of their rooms. The old woman’ll have my head!”

Soon, the officers parade through the city. Before the procession reaches the market square, you hear the cheering crowd by the city gates falls silent. Three heralds bearing red and white flags lead them, followed by a casket and pallbearers. Behind them ride two men in a chariot – one wears white and red robes, and wears a silver circlet, and the other is dressed in a white military uniform, and carries a large, two-handed sword. They are followed by a small group of officers, some in military garb, and others simply in armour. There are gasps as the procession passes, and the crowd surrounding you grows quiet. An old woman next to you whispers “Oh, gods… Brynne is dead… the emperor’s son is dead… havoc will rain down upon this city… gods help us all.” Other people in the crowd whisper similar pleas, and you can hear a few people sobbing.

--

Soon, the procession passes and, and the crowd begins to scatter and break apart. A man in an official-looking red and white uniform carrying a bag over his shoulder walks up to the old woman and says, “Mrs. Amanda Rhodri, right? I have a few letters for some of your guests. Let’s see…” He begins searching through his bag, and finally procures five envelopes. “One Alphonse, Jade Dragon; one Béla, mage; one Lucas Espenshade; and one Tass, of the Porling Forest. Oh, and there’s one for you, milady. Good day!”

The old woman turns around and shouts “GREGORY!” then looks at you as a group. “Do any of you know where I could find these people? I don’t think they’re staying at my inn, but I didn’t have the heart to tell that to the postman. The letters have this official seal on them, so I would think they’re pretty important. I’d hate for one of these fine people to lose their mail…”
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-03-31 at 03:11 PM.
    A few odds and ends.