1. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Women who play male characters (in games)

Urgh, I really wish I could find a good way to express my opinion without sounding like a **** but still being honest about it Also, I'm afraid we are treating towards politics (again) and I'd rather like to stay away from that.

I'll put it short: Nobody makes you "lie" on the internet about your sexual identity. ("Lie" as in "I'm a girl" is not the same as "I'm a girl born in a boy's body" (I hope this phrasing isn't offensive to anyone. If so, please correct me)) If you decide to do it, I don't think it's a good start for forming friendships. And if you drag it out and form closer relationships to people and you still don't tell them the "truth" you are just getting closer and closer to the point when someone will somehow find out. (Even if it is only because maybe people assume you could a suspicious person who may mean harm to others.) And if you lied to people for such a long time - even if you got your reasons - it's not unreasonable for them to feel offended. If you are close enough friends with a person on the internet for them to reasonably ask you for pictures you should also be close enough to tell them the whole story of who you are.

(I'd rather leave out the real world repercussions part of the argument. I'm aware of it, even if I guess I'm doing humanity a big favor by assuming people largely wouldn't care let alone go through the trouble of actively trying to hurt you, but it's getting again as off-topic as the rape issue earlier. Yeah, it'd be cool if it didn't exist, sadly it exists. And I'd rather stop there or we would get drift away fast)

edit: Regarding SuiuS last post: As noted above, there is still a difference between "I'm a girl" and "I'm a girl born in the body of a man" and while I know it's not very pc, yes there is a difference for me (and I dare say many others) when it comes to it. Not saying I have anything against trans* people but if you want to treat it as "basically a birth defect" I guess I can say I'd like to know about it the same way I'd want to know it if a person was born blind or deaf or anything else. (And please don't accuse me of comparing trans* people to disabled people, you brought up the birth defect comparison)
    Last edited by Kato; 2014-01-24 at 09:43 AM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental