1. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: World of Warcraft XVI: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Orcy Worcey...Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Useful advice Icewraith, thank you <^.^>
    No problem. As someone who had to learn the ins and outs of BGs with no previous gear or experience the hard way, I am happy to spare others at least some of the bottom end of the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    And the bigger the battleground, the less your individual contribution (or lack thereof) will be noticed...in Warsong Gulch, being down 9/10 to their 10/10 can matter. In EotS or Arathi Basin, being 14/15 to their 15/15 might matter, but you're more likely to slip through the cracks and not get yelled at specifically. In Alterac Valley, being 39/40 to their 40/40 is utterly irrelevant, especially since a quarter of both teams is likely to be outright AFK anyways, so you'll be above the average even with your terrible gear.
    Now this here is absolutely not true. One person even in bad gear that knows what they're doing can be the deciding factor in a game if they get the opportunity and can exploit it. It only really comes out in fairly evenly matched games though. That's why I said don't go off by yourself unless you know what you're doing and have a good reason for doing so.

The classic example is one person back-capping in AV or AB, or (from a previous era and personal experience) the only person in the AV group in tank spec and gear making sure he gets to the other base so he can reliably tank and giving his team a huge advantage. (I've been exalted with the AV alliance faction since BC- the others are nowhere near close.)

I can think of a number of matches off hand where I was able to stop a key flag cap with something like a heroic leap-charge defender in range-heroic throw flag capper and stop their cap at the last second, for instance-or came back from a rez just in time to stop the cap and get killed again, but give the rest of the team time to rez at the cap point and not lose it.

The other reason I disagree has to do with why I recommended finding someone to run with, especially if you have vent or similar to coordinate with them.

One year I had finally gotten all the holiday achievements except the "kill 50 people as a father winter's helper", queuing as arms with fairly bad gear. I managed maybe 1-2 kills for eightish games until a disc priest buddy logged on. I think we maybe queued three more times after that - the trick is that you lose the buff you need for the rest of the match the first time you die iirc, so if you die early (and since you are a tiny winter festival gnome you are a target for anyone looking to inflict a little misery on the opposing side) you get next to no kills for the match.

Anyway, the point is that since I was pairing up with someone running a complimentary class who knew what he was doing (kind of), all of a sudden we started absolutely wrecking things. Even if you're fairly bad, teamwork can still be op if the bad people on the other team aren't using it and you are, assuming a roughly even skill distribution on both sides.
    Last edited by Icewraith; 2014-01-27 at 04:06 PM.