Ok, confession time... made very sheepishly...

Finally got time to go back and review the rule book and all. And discovered something. We had been playing with a huge, stupid, colossal, ginormous, hideous, did I say stupid, numbskull ... mistake!

Now, we had all read through the quick-start guide a couple days before we played, and I had then been through the entire rulebook. I was sure I had it all down. But once we sat down to start, the #1 question everyone had (since it isn't in the quick-start) was how do we fight other players?

So we really reviewed those rules, making sure we understood who would be rolling which dice and all that. Then, we proceeded to start our game. Only, we now had a couple wires crossed in our heads, resulting in the calamitous outcome described in my opening post.

I have discussed my discovery with the players... and we've all now had a good laugh at ourselves. And committed to trying again this weekend (if we have time).

Oh, you'd like to know our mistake? Well, since we'd just reviewed the player-vs-player rules, that's what we did. Only, with monsters.

Yup.

We treated all the numbers on the monster cards as... you guessed it... modifiers!

We were rolling dice for the monsters, too!

So please, join me in a round of laughter, won't you?