View Single Post

Thread: What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

1. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

Almost finished pushing my way through the Lonesome Dove series. I'm currently about halfway through Streets of Laredo. Thus far I like it better than either of the prequels, but it still doesn't hold a candle to Lonesome Dove itself.

After finishing The Corner I didn't quite have the heart to jump right into There Are No Children Here, so I moved to lighter fare - Patricia McKillip's 2012 collection of short stories, Wonders of the Invisible World. I bought it a year ago but only read two stories from it, but now that I'm diving back in, I'm really enjoying it. I don't actually read a lot of fantasy, and I've never been a huge fan of the novels I've read by Patricia McKillips, but this has been fun. I think in a lot of ways her prose style is better suited to the shorter form.

(I also must confess that it feels particularly refreshing in contrast to the Lonesome Dove series, a long-form Western that could teach George R.R. Martin a few tricks about how to screw with your emotions and be absolutely brutal to main characters, and The Corner, which makes the Wire look cheerful in retrospect.)
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2014-02-18 at 06:53 PM.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists