View Single Post

Thread: Board Games!

1. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Board Games!

Seems to be the same game, yeah. I don't remember the art styles being disparate in this version of the game (although they didn't look too divergent in the screenshots the app had), and the app definitely looks like it's using characters from Devastation of Indines. (It's a standalone expansion to the first BattleCon.)

The art for War of Indines (the base game) is a lot more all-over-the-place than the Devstation expansion, from what I can tell. Same mechanics, though.

EDIT: Also, that same night I got to try out Puzzle Strike. Fun game! I think it's now my favorite deckbuilder, mainly because of the gem-crashing mechanic.

It's a head-to-head game, and each player accrues "gems" during the game. When you have 10 gems in your pile, you get to take one action to get rid of some of them. Then, if you still have at least 10 gems, you lose. (So, they're a sort of damage.) You can use actions (which you buy from the bank) to combine 1-value gems into higher-value gems. This is important, because of gem-crashing.

A gem-crash action lets you throw a single gem-chip at your opponent. (So if you only have 1-value chips, you can only throw 1 gem at your opponent...but if you have a 3-value chip, you totally throw 3 gems at your opponent.) The gem busts apart into 1-value chips, and they all go to your opponent's pile. They're going to have to combine those chips into higher-value chips if they want to crash you with a lot of gems.

So, super-interesting way to handle damage. (Also, if you have a crash action in your hand, you can counter-crash with a single chip from your pile, absorbing some or all of your opponent's gem-crash, cancelling the gems out.) The game plays very fast-paced, and it's a lot more active than Dominion.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-02-27 at 04:05 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.