1. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Everyone maintains a single In Character Post. All text for actions should be colored black.
    If there is a change to your actions, you strike out the original text and add new text in a different color. You can repeat as often as you like, but you have to strike out and use new text for each change. This wouldn't apply to fluff, of course, just the actions.
    THis would allow everyone to scan through quickly and see what has changed. It would also allow everyone to see who is making multiple changes again and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    I'd vote for the change too. It'd be complex, but it'd be fun. I would suggest using a slash between each change, like so: [Curiosity]Discover that things fall when dropped / [Faith] Pray that things will fall when dropped / [Military] Force all things that drop to fall. Full invasion of the Things' homeland otherwise.
    Both decent suggestions, indeed.

I think it might be a good thing if someone would collect things like this as a kind of "posting etiquette" or "player's etiquette". Things that aren't really rules for the mechanics, but provide guidelines for the players that help run things more smoothly and in a way that will ensure the fun for everyone is maximized as much as it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Religion query - when switching rulers, does the new ruler automatically have the same faith as the predecessor?

Basically, I'm asking if changing rulers and changing religions can be combined.
    Yes. A new ruler can be of a different religion than the previous ruler if stated so. Otherwise it defaults to them being the same religion as their parent (if they were an heir) or the majority religion (if unrelated to the previous ruler).

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Problem is, this game is also designed so that people can make actions once, and then leave until next week. Or some people like to respond with fluff. Changing an action makes two things happen:

1, say I post something in response to something else, say, I go into an alliance with Bob, and Bob's like - let's attack! I'm like, alright! Put up the action, and leave for next round. During the round, Bob gets convinced to pull out, change things, and not attack. However, I posted that I was invading with Bob, and so now I'm invading alone. Next round, I get slaughtered.

2, and this happened in my case Twice this round. I see all that has transpired, and decide to write out fluff in response to a particular action, and then that action changes hats completely, and I'm left with something I can't post because it is no longer relevant.

I think part of the issue is that all time is wibbly wobbly in this game. There's no order of play, turns, or chronology save "this happens within this time period". I'm not sure if there's a rectifiable way of dealing with this, but it stands to be pointed out. It mostly works fine, but in a combat system like the one we've got, it certainly makes things...difficult at times.
    The first point is rather unavoidable. War not withstanding, this could be applied to any agreement between two players.

I think that requiring DoWs to happen one turn before the war actually happens is a good idea, as nearly all intense and large-scale action-editing has been war-related. This will enable diplomatic solutions to start being discussed a week earlier, and to serve to get all the players on the same side thinking in the same direction. Everyone in favour?

I suggest this in addition to the above suggestions by Murgen/Sam, as those suggestions help in making it clear what someone has changed or added, but they don't do anything to relieve the fundamental problem with war changes themselves--largely because they require people keeping tabs on the IC thread and changes to posts made in there.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-03-05 at 11:52 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries