Quote Originally Posted by Foxwarrior View Post
Would having an elaborate costume be important to the success of such a tactic?
I would hope so, given that I'm in the process of making one partially for the same reason (and partially just because I enjoy it too, of course).

Costumes are an easy conversation starter. Assuming one of those beautiful women is dressed for the occasion, start a conversation about her costume. Tell her it looks nice or ask how she made a certain part. If you're familiar with what the costume is from, you can steer the conversation towards that and if not, you can ask.

You could also talk about the panels at the con. Either ones you're looking forward to or one that just ended if you and the girl were both present. In short, yes. Strike up conversations out of the blue if someone catches your eye. As you said yourself, a convention is likely to have the best concentration of people with similar interests, so there's plenty you can talk about without it being awkward.

Since I sorta brought it up already, here's my own situation. I'll be attending a convention next month. While preparing for it, I started thinking about girl I'm interested in who will be there. I know her from a different convention and she had mentioned that she planned on going to the upcoming one. The last time I saw her (a few months back at the last con I went to), we spent a bit of time together and I really enjoyed it. I thought I felt a connection so I decided to ask her out. She declined and explained that because of her situation with school and family and the like, she didn't think it was a good time to start seeing someone. She also assured me that she thought I seemed like a really nice guy, which would've instantly set off every red flag for "politely letting me down" if she hadn't also said that if it had been a year later when I asked and she had things a bit more in hand, she probably would've said yes. So... Because of that, there's a bit of hope that I can't help but cling to. I also asked if we could keep in contact, but she thought that wasn't for the best since she'd feel like she was leading me on and didn't want me reading into things and thinking it meant something when she wasn't in a position to give it a try (and to be fair... She's probably right and that probably would've happened).

What I'm wondering is, if I do run into her, should I go for it again, and if so, is there anything I can do that would make her more likely to say yes this time? There's bound to be plenty of other girls there, so even if I don't see her or if I do and she declines, it's not like there won't be other options. Still, I can't help but prefer the thought of a girl I know a bit about and like what I do know over trying to connect with a wildcard who I only just met. Being single sucks and I'm tired of it, so I'd like to think I'll be able to do something about it while I'm there (and that my overdone attempts at peacocking with my costume won't be for nothing)