Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
I was trying to communicate that to me at least based off this account, it didn't come off as entirely clear that he was able to properly communicate his actual view on the topic. Of course, perhaps he did; I rather suggested perhaps there might have been a miscommunication.
Of course. There can always be a miscommunication.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
Goodness, I wouldn't want to fight either! I'm not talking about ripping each other to shreds, holding an unmovable opinion I'm smashing against another one; that would be ridiculous and not at all productive! I'm talking about sharing, considering and accepting different view points, considering your own position while being open to adjusting it and in general, developing an understanding. I don't even expect to agree with the people I discuss with after we're done but I do expect to have gained valuable input on a different view point and an understanding of how certain person, and by extension probably many similarly minded people, might think on the topic. In my experience, this leads to both sides gaining wider perspective and a richer understanding of the diversity of views on this topic.

Kind of like we're doing right now, really; clearly our views on this topic differ greatly and I'm developing an understanding of what you are talking about and thus relating my own views on what I was trying to communicate and coming out with an enhanced understanding of a different point of view. Indeed, I can hold this as valuable input that should help me understand them, should I ever develop a friendship with somebody to whom disagreement equals a vehement clash.
Well, there are topics where I can change my point of view, and there are topics where I won't. The latter kind of topic I usually only discuss on the internet, so I can walk away when I want to.

And regarding the question whether it is preferable to have friends whose opinions differ from your own, this is a matter of taste, so there is no danger of the discussion becoming a fight. I can easily accept your point of view - it would be nonsensical to want to tell you what you should like in your friends.