View Single Post

Thread: Trissociate [3.5 Base Class] (PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Trissociate [3.5 Base Class] (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Qazzquimby brought this thread to my attention, and I have to admit it is really good. I love it.
    Thank you.

Now, fulfilling why it was brought to my attention, and doing something I would have done had I noticed it on my own, I am bringing shadow magic to the table.
    I have added it in, and taken the liberty of replacing the immunity to poison/disease, with the you-get-another-bonus-if you-already-have-this version (and spread them out a little).

The picture, found in the tome of magic, just felt appropriate.
    And yet, it looks suspiciously like your avatar.

Change Log: 6 May 2014
    -Eldritch Blast has been significantly beefed up. Now with additional (and hopefully balanced) Blast Essences and Shapes
    -Magic Dilettante has had its final Dilettante Points increased slightly
    -Half-Dragon: Rearrange when they get what, energy immunity now comes in much earlier
    -Half-Anarchic: Fast Healing amount has been reduced
    -Shadowcaster added
    -Turn/Rebuke Undead now have insightful feat to support for Int/Wis based priests (or those who want to mimic opportunistic piety). In line with Bone Talisman, Emergency Turning now costs 2 Mastery points

Edit: Thinking about the matter, it still feels like the Caster Associations are more powerful than they should be, largely because of bonus spells/PP. Taking the Ultimate Scholar as a example, at level 20, he should be able to hit 28 Int fairly easily (Start at 17, +5 level up + 6 item). That gives him a spell outlay as follows:

Class 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Wizard 1+3 1+2 1+2 1+2 1+2 1+1 1+1 1+1 1+1
    Archivist 1+3 1+2 1+2 1+2 1+2 1+1 1+1 1+1 1+1
    Total 8 6 6 6 6 4 4 4 4

Which is A LOT of spells for what is supposed to be HALF a class.

On the Erudite side, he has something akin to 90 bonus PP, which is MORE than what the Association gives him. And on top of that he has 50 Mastery Points (and probably 5 uses of Rapid Conversion).

So I think I need to reduce the amount of bonus spells/power points. The easiest way is to apply a penalty to key ability score for the purposes of calculating bonus spells/PP. Maybe a flat penalty (e.g. -8, so a score of 28 counts as 20). And if they take an Association twice, the penalty is removed, but they only get one set of bonus slots.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2014-05-06 at 07:40 AM.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit