1. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [EMPIRE!] A World-Building Game of People & Discovery

AQUA (The Jeweled Cities and Tar) Round 15 (301-405) actions:
    Previous round increase: +1 Diplomacy

Events
    Upon request of Raaneka, the trade of Raaneki stone and Heartwine for Jeweled Cities Kelp-olive oil and gems is cancelled.
    Upon request of Jarrland, Jarrlander dyes are no longer going to Tar.
    Upon request of Alydaxis, the trade of Ordinarium for Jeweled Cities Kelp-olive oil is cancelled.

A letter from the Senior Council of AQUA makes it way to all leaders of lands in Telluris:
    Spoiler: A letter from the Council
    Show

A Letter from the Senior Council of AQUA, to the Leaders of Telluris.
    Greetings!
    By now many of you will have heard about the change in leadership amongst AQUA. Many of you will little remark or take notice of our leadership changed. To those, we say, thank you. This is an internal matter. We will do our best to continue to honor all trade agreements made in the past, and continue to support the values of free trade and peace we have long championed.

To those who are upset by the recent actions taken by the council, we ask for your understanding. The actions taken by our new Regent, Tupelo Cornus, and the members of the Senior Council could be seen by many as aggressive, violent, and unnecessary. They were not. We understand that the Grant family was extremely popular on the Continent and beyond. To a person, they are clever, witty, and possess great physical charm. But there is more to leadership than charming the nobility of other lands. In the AQUA regions, her charms were less overpowering, and her faults far more evident.

She spoke of peace, and yet sent our men and women into no less than military engagements where AQUA was not directly threatened. She could have supported the Union of the North in their war against the Ignato Empire. Instead, she stood aside and allowed other ships to be used as transport, increasing the carnage of that battle. Her actions so badly damaged that relationship that thirty years later it is still unrepaired. She went to war against the Salterri to defend colonial interests, making an enemy with a powerful navy heritage to protect her “allies” who support her sister’s domain on the continent. She then chose to put our people in harm’s way once again, against the combined forces of an ally and the Salterri to defend an the soldiers of Bordeaux- despite having little formal relations with them. And during that entire time, she continued to spend significant amounts of time and treasure on military buildups and secret projects.

She spoke of trade, and yet the richness of her trade agreements were channeled into the pockets of her friends and relatives. Often, this was done at the expense of the people of AQUA. Lumber from the sacred lands of the Isle of Birds and the Blackadder forest flowed out from our lands. She ‘acquired’ countless acres to increase the fruit exports of our nation. Yet in a land-poor nation, did she stop to consider where the land would come from? From the people, forcing them out of their traditional independent living and into farming. Yes, it was done in the name of commerce. But when one family controls all shipping amongst an island nation, it is more slavery than free enterprise.
    And who received the benefits? Raaneki trade wine, to her and her cadre? Mammoths- did the people ever see the meat they were promised? No. The silk she traded for, did the people see it? No- it went into her mighty fleet. The continent burned, and she took from her own people to ‘gift’ others, to make herself look like a generous savior.

Amber was not the generous, welcoming ruler she projected to the rest of the world. Her magnanimousness aboard was countered with callous indifference at home. Our council and advice was routinely discarded. Our concerns for the integrity of our lands dismissed as fear mongering. Our religions threatened in the name of cultural understanding. No, the voices of the people of AQUA never found a ready ear in the Regina. She stocked the Council with sycophants and dependents to assure herself of assent to any policy she chose. She gave license to those who she controlled, positioning them so as to remain in control for generations. Voices of dissent found themselves given ‘promotions’ to far flung outposts where their concerns would come as too little too late.

What was done by this council was an attempt to take back control of our lands; to stop the plundering of our resources and heritage upon the altar of her personality. It was done in accordance to the established covenant and in accordance to our heritage. The particular methodology was deliberately selected to endanger as few people as possible. No civil wars, no fleet battles, no decades long sacrifice of good men and women for the untethered ambitions of a despot.
    We acted as we did to prevent a civil war within our borders. It was clear from the many Council meetings that the Grant family would not relinquish control without a fight. When their dwarf ally retired, did they open the Council to the people? N0, they brought in an outsider from a nation allied with them. When their matriarch retired, did they call for elections? No, they had intended to hold her proxy and leave the seat vacant. The Council had to force her hand by calling for an internal vote, negating her vote and her mothers. It was the only way. She responded in typical despot fashion, shipping the newest members off on a months long “diplomatic” boondoggle while she maneuvered to negate the change by creating an alliance of smuggling agents to do her will secretly across Telluris.

We regret the loss of life. We lament the course of action we were forced to take. With no other options available, we chose the path we saw as the least destructive to our lands, our people. We ask, simply, for time to recover and organize to better serve the AQUA. If you choose to turn away, we will mourn the loss of goodwill this act engendered. But it is our fervent hope that the nations of Telluris will accept that this is an internal change in leadership. We will do our best to remain honorable, concerned leaders.

We welcome any opportunity to speak with you and clarify any details or concerns you might have.

ACTIONS
    Action #1 Diplomacy: Hold free and general elections for open positions on Senior Council. The Grant's monopoly on intra-regional transport is dissolved. Catamaran captains now work for their own interests. Regorganize Trade within AQUA:
    Tar and Meat go from Tar to the Jeweled Cities. Jeweled Cities Kelp-olive Oil and Tropical Fruit go to Tar. The quartz from Kasumor will go to Tar, instead of the Jeweled CIties.
    Action #2 Diplomacy: Attempt to colonize region 90. FAILED
    Action #3 Diplomacy: Attempt to colonize region 130. FAILED
    Action #4 Faith: Faith 5 action: Create new religion, the Children of Khadi.
    Action #5 Faith: Start Faith based great project to build a training academy and monastary for my Aeromancers (1/5) [Verified with Morph that this is a FAITH action]

Expected Bonuses: +1 diplomacy, +1 Faith

RUMORS
    Strangely, the pubs and whorehouses frequented by AQUA traders have no rumors, none at all.
    The Council has forbidden all sea-going transports to dock at Pearl. Catamarans have to be taken from the other islands.

FLUFF
    Spoiler: The Tale of the Grant-Tremblor Family
    Show

Tarn, Firth and Martin met with their cousin, Jonas Grant. They had been on the run for several months since their parents were killed. The four of them gathered in a quiet, out of the way tavern in Genivania. Jonas was anxious to hear their tale. Martin quickly found a corner to nap in, exhausted from all the hard travelling.
    Tarn began, “Dad had called us all together at the Governor’s quarters in Emerald City.”
    We’d been travelling for the last year or so. Mom had us checking on trade partners.” Firth added.
    “Mom was in a bad way.” Tarn cut in. “She’s caught Ship Fever, and it was bad. They were keeping it quiet to avoid a panic.” Jonas nodded. Ship Fever was a rare and deadly disease that could rapidly spread through a ship’s crew. Tarn continued, “Mom was isolated in her rooms, and dad thought it was best we see her one more time.”
    Firth spoke up, “It was awful. She had red spots all over her arms and chest, and some of the sores really stunk.”
    “The smell of a battlefield it was.” Tarn added, “Dad unlocked and opened the balcony doors so the sea air could get in. I don’t think we could have lasted long in that room without it.”
    “I had no idea.” Jones said.
    “No one did.” Tarn admitted. “We all know how infectious it is. Mom didn’t want anyone getting it. With all the ships and caravans, it would spread like an octopus.”
    "Don’t worry, cousin.” Firth quickly added upon seeing the Jonas’ expression. “Dad didn’t allow us within arm’s reach.”
    Again Tarn shot his brother an annoyed glance for interrupting, “Mom was feverish and partially delirious, so we only stayed long enough to tell her we loved her. Things went bad a little while later. We were all in the living room, discussing what we were going to do when dad heard a noise from the bedroom. Dad hurried over and opened the doors.”
    Firth cut in, “I think he thought mom was up and moving, delirious.”
    “Will you stop that. I’m trying to tell the story.”
    “You keep leaving out the …”
    “He doesn’t neeed..”
    “Cousins!” Jonas interrupted. “I know you both are distraught and exhausted. Please don’t finght.”
    Chagrinned, Firth indicated for Tarn to continue. “A group of Quill were in the room. They looked disturbed by mom’s condition. But when they saw us, they came at us. Dad ordered us to grab Martin and run.”
    We wanted to fight, but Martin couldn’t protect himself. Dad told us to protect him.”Tarn nodded.
    “So we ran. But we ended up fighting anyway. The door to the stairs was open. Firth threw himself into one of them, and knocked the guy hiding behind it out. But a girl was behind the other, and she came after us.”
    Firth continued, “Tarn was awesome! He held her off as we moved down the stairs and out into the city. We’ve been on the run since.”Jonas had to ask, “Has there been any more attacks?”
    The pair looked at each other. “Honestly, we’re not certain. It’s an unsettled world and the couple of tough spots could have been highwaymen or brigands.
    “So where are you headed?”“Quarimos, probably. We can get a boat there down to Raaneka or Jarrland. We have friends
    “And family”
    “And family there.”
    “Good plan. Go in peace, cousins.” Jonas clapped each on their shoulders. He got up to leave, a bag of coins and gems left on the table for them.

Spoiler: Tupelo's Sermon, part 1
    Show

Brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit, I thank you for coming here tonight. In the torchlight I see many I call friends- Priests of Atur and the Shamans of the Wild. The light of the moons shine upon the faces of Quill and Islander, Continental and Outcast alike. By it, I call you all my brothers. Our faith has brought us together. In this place, at this time, our faith is as one.

Brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit, hear me for my cause and attend that you might hear. Believe me for my honor and have respect for that honor, that you might believe. Query me in your wisdom, and awaken your senses that you might better judge the truth of my words.
    If there be any at this assembly , any dear friend of Amber Regina, to them I say, that Tupelo’s love to Amber was no less than theirs. If that friend demand why I rose against Amber, this is my answer. Not that I loved Amber less, but that I loved our people more. Would you rather Amber live and our souls sold to the highest bidder, or that Amber were dead and our souls be once again ours?
    As Amber embraced me, I weep for her; as she found fortune, I rejoiced at it. As she was valiant in the cause of peace, I honored her. But as she was perfidious, I slew her. Here were tears for her love. Hera was joy for her fortune. Here was honor for her valor. And here was death for her faithlessness.

Brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit, this faithlessness hold the whole world within its grasp. And Faithlessness carries death in its wake. Here in our lands, it brought low a leader well beloved. In the North, a being of rage and fire stalks ravaging the land. Oh woe those leaders who face it, for their faith is weak, and that weakness the very strength of the beast! Bordeaux! Ashenia! The payment of faithlessness has come due.
    In the East, callous leaders tear apart a once great faith as vultures on a corpse. They squabble over the prime chunks while the very world burns. Hubris and once again Hubris!
    To the south, the very dead rise from their graves. Avenging the pillaging of their resting places by those who refused to believe. Alydaxis! Woe to you who neglect the faith handed to you! For you are the defender of that faith, and to what end? A land of wealth and might, devoid of true living.

Brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit, do we not live for ourselves? Are not our lives our own? Are we but marionettes dancing to the strings our master’s pluck? No, I say to you here and now, NO! When our masters demand we embrace their falsehood, we must say no. When our kings and queens ignore what is righteous, we must say no! it is our souls that hung in the balance. It is our souls that, even now, hang upon a spider’s thread. The flames of indifference, idolatry, and indifference threaten to burn that thread, and plunge us all into the firey abyss. We must refuse the demands of the wicked. We must refute the commands of the unjust. We must not let ourselves be consumed by the flesh and the flesh peddlers.

Brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit, this is not easy. Our road is not level, and our burdens great. We are beset upon all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. They will seek to poison and destroy us, my brothers and sisters. They will strike down upon us with furious anger and great vengeance. For they fear us. Yes, they fear us. They fear those that would seek to shelter their brothers and sisters, to guide them in the paths of faith through the great valley of their darkness. Mark my words, there will come a day when we will be persecuted! There will come a day when we will be condemned. There will come a day when we will suffer at the hands of these creatures of spite and hate.
    Brothers and sisters, cousins in custom and spirit, do not despair. We shall be strong during the dark times. We shall be strong, because our faith is strong. We shall endure because our faith is ever-enduring. And we shall overcome, because our faith cannot be overcome.

Spoiler: Tupelo's Sermon, part 2
    Show

Brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit, I too am a dissolute. Cast out by my family, I lived as I could, did what I thought I had to. Those were dark times, filled with dark deeds. But there, there in the swamps, in a time when I had no faith and wanted not for one, my faith found me. I was raised up by this faith, my feet set firmly upon the path that has led me here today, to preach the good news to you.

My first step cousins in custom and spirit, was along the path of Atur. God of my family, He of the Thousand Voices. Yet I found no solace there. For a thousand voices provide a thousand guide points. Brothers and sisters, I came to understand that a point in every direction is the same as no point at all. The Great Father Tree is imply that, a tree. There is no salvation amongst its branches.

My next steps towards revelation, towards redemption, lead me to the Shamans of the Wild. I heeded the call of a simple faith. Bribe the spirits for their good favor. Bribe them again to remove their displeasure. It is a simple faith. It is an easy faith. It is a faith that allows for the most heinous acts to be paid for with treasure. And it is poison for the soul. A poison that masks the pain you feel in yourself, disregards the pain you see in others. It is a poison that whispers its sweet seduction of the end justifying the means.

Brothers and Sisters, those who follow the Cult of the Sky, for a time, I sought salvation within your ranks. The Great Sky Spirit to watch over me. The Great Sky Spirit to send signs and portents to guide me. The Great Sky Spirit, nothing but emptiness and ambivalence. As a child sees clouds shaped to his imagination, so did your shamans see signs shaped to their thoughts, powered by the powerful herbs they ingest. Visions born of the mind, not of the spirit, they cannot save us.

For a time, I despaired. I despaired for my very soul, brothers and sisters. I saw nothing, heard nothing, that in which I could find surcease for my anguish. It was then, in my darkest hour of my darkest night, that I first heard Her call. In darkness, we are created. It is from this darkness that we are born. We move from our mother’s womb to her arms. Then from that shelter into the larger world. We step into the light, and take our place. And then, at the end of our lives, we return to that darkness. Eyes no longer seeing, once again we engulfed by it. I learned of the Mother of Darkness, the one from whom all souls come, and the one to whom all souls return.

Her call is a simple on, brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit. Her call is one of responsibility. We are responsible for our own soul. Not some shaman, not some seer. Salvation of destruction is in our hands alone. We must always understand why we do what we do. We are simple beings, limited in time and ability. We cannot know what results our actions will cause. All we can know, brothers and sisters, is what is in our heart when we do it. When our end comes, as all ends must come, we will be judged by Her. For She is also known as Khadi, devourer of Souls. She who knows all that has come before, and all to come after. She will take the forthright into her bosom, to rejoin the great wheel of life. Those found wicked, she will destroy utterly.

But fear not, brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit. Her demands are as simple as they are profound.
    The Mother of the Night calls upon us to treat all creatures as we would desire to be treated. Live in harmony with all things, taking only what we understand we need. As we must eat, we must provide. If that means the death of another creature, then it should be as painless as we can arrange. For is that not what we would desire? When we are called back to her bosom, do we not desire to go quietly and peacefully? We owe those that give their lives for us as much.
    The Mother of the Night sees all who ponder and think as children. She only wants her children to treat each other fairly. She desires hands outstretched in friendship rather than threat. She desires fortunes shared rather than hoarded. In all dealings between each other, she asks us to consider “Would we trade places with this person?” It is simple, and profound. Elegant, and full of complexity. Her call is one of consideration and attention, care and elevation.

Brothers and sisters, Cousins in custom and spirit, it from that reason that I stand before you today. I seek to reach you, to touch your soul, to lift you up to the endless night sky above and cry out in a loud voice “Kina! Mother of the Night! Accept these who newly welcome your embrace. Khadaratni, The Great Deceiver! Treat them kindly as they tread upon the returning road. Khadi, Devourer of Souls! Accept them as they accept Your truth, and judge their past transgressions with understanding of their futures

Go, my brothers and sisters. Go in peace, with hearts full of compassion and understanding

Spoiler: UPDATED TRADES TABLE
    Show

Jeweled Cities Tar
    EXPORTS
    U]Kelp-Olive Oil (2/6):[/u] Scla’ca (R5); Ignato Empire (R8); Salterie (r11); Tar (R15); Alydaxis (R5)(Cancelled R15); Raaneka (R10)(cancelled R15);
    Gemstones (2/3): Tar (R9); ); Raaneka (R10)(cancelled R15);

Tropical Fruit (3/6)(R10): Kasumor (R11); Glazfell (R12); Tar (R15)
    EXPORTS
    Wood (4/6): Razdis (R10); Niskovia(R14)
    Meat:(1/3):: Sympol (R11); Jeweled Cities (R15)
    Tar: (0/3):: Ignato Empire (R13); Jeweled Cities (R15); Solus(R14)
    IMPORTS
    [NEED] Iron: Razdis (R10) Alydaxis (ordinarium) (R5)(R15 cancelled);
    Architects: Ignato (R12)
    Kingbirds: Solus (R14)
    Lumber: Scla’ca (R5); Bordeaux (R5)lost (R8);
    Silk: Nyroth (R8); Frosskoz(R12);
    Salt: Salterie (R11)
    Star Metal: Niskovia (R14)
    eeartwine: Raaneka (R10) (lost r15)
    Mammoths: Wenyavuk(R8) lost (R13)
    Stone: Raaneka (R10) (lost r15)
    IMPORTS
    [NEED] Precious Stones: Jeweled Cities (R9);
    Quartz: [/U] Kasumor (R11)
    Vegetables: Sympol (R11)
    [S]Dyes: Jarrland (R11)lost(R14)[/S

Spoiler: UPDATED AGE TABLE
    Show

NAME TITLE Born AGE
    Atura Timber Quill Councilmember 318 83
    Opus Petricho “Geek” Quill Councilmember 360 41
    Samhell Bellami Junior, Councilmember and Islander 348 53
    Stormbringer, Councilmember, Air Shaman of the Wild, Crimar by birth 379 22
    Tupelo Cornus,”Freak" Regent of the Jeweled Cities, Sagamore of Tar 350 46
    Verdo Collino Guilder Councilmember 353 43
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-05-23 at 12:32 PM.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah