Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticAbacus View Post
"Haven't had ghosts or any such at Ravengro far as I can remember," Caeller says. "Some folk say they're up at Harrowstone, but if they are, they stay there well enough." He's frowning, though. With the rapid back and forth, he's having a hard time following the conversation, especially as he's unfamiliar with the topic. His deputies just look at each other, confused. But what the sheriff does understand, he doesn't like. "What's all this about cultists? Some Whispering Way?" he asks with a scowl, his suspicion returning.
"As I said, Sheriff, after Councilor Hearthmount read Petros' will to us, we were bequeathed a chest bearing basically several of his old library books that need to be returned to Lepidstadt after our month here is over. However, one of these books wasn't. It was his journal, and the real reason he bequeathed the chest to us to return was so we'd find this journal and read it. It turns out Gibbs was PARTIALLY right. There were necromancers at Harrowstone, but Petros was going there to STOP them. They are the Whispering Way, foul devotees of the Whispering Tyrant who enslaved our beloved Ustalav in the distant past, the lich lord my goddess fought against in her days as a mortal, the monster our order still keeps imprisoned beneath the Gallowspire. The Whispering Way seek to free him, and Petros discovered a cabal of them was attempting SOMETHING at Harrowstone. What, he never found out. He felt he was running out of time, and he had to act to try and stop them. And from what we can gather from the information he left us and the state of his body as it was described to us, his death was not an accident, but murder most foul. The Whispering Way loves their silence and whispers, you see, and so they break the jaws of the dead so Pharasma's faithful cannot call them back from beyond to question them, and thus reveal the cult's secrets. It sounds like they did this to Petros, who fortunately had a plan in case the worst should happen. Apparently, that plan is us. We were all more than just Petros' friends and colleagues, but also capable fighter in our own right. Ulric and I are both paladins, though we may serve different gods. Rastan's faith in Pharasma is great enough to put undead back in their graves. Emil, despite his impudence is almost as capable a mage now in his youth as Petros was in his prime. Benedickt apparently has great skill in tracking and bringing down dangerous beast from living in Lozeri. And Doctor Zendebiddle's briliant analytical mind figured this out long before any of us could. He didn't mean us to come here as friends, but as reinforcements. Wherever the Whispering Way goes, death and desecration follow. Petros knew that if he couldn't stop them, Kendra and all of Ravengro could be in terrible danger. And so he called us here to finish what he started. To find out what the Whispering Way was doing at Harrowstone, and contain whatever darkness they were trying to unleash."

Spoiler: Diplomacy Check
Show
(1d20+7)[14]