Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
Personally, this complaint has never made much sense to me. Tolkien had a long professional life, and a person can get a lot done over the years. Depending on how they organize stuff, it can be quite difficult to make sense of it, or compile it into a sensible whole after the fact.

Besides which, Christopher is getting up there in years now. I don't know who becomes literary executor of the Tolkien estate after he dies, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that whatever fragmentary material there is would be published in one form or another then anyway; almost certainly by people who are less intimately familiar both with Tolkien's works, and Tolkien himself, than his son. It doesn't seem particularly surprising to me that he wants to release the material now, when he has some control over it and better represent his father's work. Particularly after the films - which understand Christopher did not like - seizing the chance to let his father's works speak for themselves as best he is able seems a pretty understandable thing to do.
I agree with this, especially since Tolkien was not one of the world's great organizers. What Christopher Tolkien does is a whole different world than, say, what Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson have done with Frank Herbert's legacy.