Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
You know, it's one thing to say that and another to implement it. Give me a list of games released and the percentages of games that actually use day 1 DLC. Give me evidence, or stop giving me excuses.

It's this exact thing that Bioware has gotten crap about and knows they've gotten crap about. That's why they got crap not just from random bloggers, but from Forbes and other actual important sites time and again. That's why they're cutting back on this sort of thing.
One tangent of a nitpick here: the Forbes website has random bloggers on it, too. There are many things on their site (from random bloggers) that are incredibly far from what an actual professional would call 'professional'.

It's been proven time and again that the further from the release date you are, the fewer purchases of DLC occur. So, in order to maximize returns, companies have pushed to get DLC out as quickly as possible. This has culminated in Day 1 DLC, which is not necessarily the rip-off you say it is.

Also, what would it take that to actually make you happy? I hope you don't think that any DLC that has any relevance to the main plot needs to be free. That would mean that all the people that made this game that you enjoy would have to work without pay. I guess you would perhaps rather we go back to the old model of never updating or expanding games? Where there were no patches and no DLC? Once a game is released it's done and never gets any support, ever.

To take Skyrim as an example, would you still love it so much if Bethesda never patched all those glaring (and sometimes game-breaking) bugs? I had followers just plain disappear on me while they were loaded with valuables. Dragons never landing for any reason. Quest lines frozen because some guy somewhere just didn't spawn. All these things add up and over time they actually fixed most of the problems. Without DLC, companies would have much less incentive to release patches and updates. If they already got your money and will never get more for that game, then why would they ever bother fixing the problems with it? They certainly wouldn't do it because they felt they owed any of us anything.