Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
Well.

That sounds needlessly complicated, and intrusive.

I don't understand why they need a justification at all, much less such stringent demands for proof; "because I feel like it" seems like a perfectly acceptable reason to change your name to me. I can't help but think they've got it backwards, and that the process ought to assume that you can change your name unless there's a specific reason to forbid it (i.e. legal issues).

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, and hope you can get it sorted out. Caroline is a lovely name.
It is so much easier in England. To legally change your name, you have to... start using a different name. That's it.

Various places may want proof of your name change, in which case you need to write a declaration, sign it, and get it witnessed by two people. There is no Central place you have to register it with, and it's up to you to inform everywhere that needs to know of your new name. Most places will also change your title on request (though not all - I think the department for work and pensions has me on file as Mr Tamsin <last name>).