View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAI+ 51: Lay That Hammer Down!

1. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: LGBTAI+ 51: Lay That Hammer Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    It is so much easier in England. To legally change your name, you have to... start using a different name. That's it.

Various places may want proof of your name change, in which case you need to write a declaration, sign it, and get it witnessed by two people. There is no Central place you have to register it with, and it's up to you to inform everywhere that needs to know of your new name. Most places will also change your title on request (though not all - I think the department for work and pensions has me on file as Mr Tamsin <last name>).
    The DWP is a joke though, so that's hardly a surprise.

As for all of the above that is accurate, for the most part. Sometimes, and especially, i believe, for a GRC (gender recognition certificate) a change of details has to be witnessed by a legal professional, such as a solicitor or magistrate. (Magistrates aren't legally trained but they count).

However, if a court system has you involved, as a witness, apellant, accused or anything, then they will change gender references, pronoun usage, and titles upon request.

Sources: I work in an appeals tribunal, and have previously worked in a magistrates court.
    Last edited by HMS Sophia; 2014-05-31 at 08:45 AM.