Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
As a college student, I assure you that they had the plumbing done as cheaply as possible, it's usually old, and if you pick a college at random they almost certainly didn't make the system as robust as they should have. Much like the rest of the infrastructure.
Quite right. Plus as far as I can tell, the only things a modern college will actually spend money on are giant unnecessary athletic facilities, borderline dishonest self-promotion, and administrators to write memos about how this or that can be used for borderline dishonest self-promotion. Never assume they'll do anything beyond the bare minimum required to make themselves look good outside of those three areas1, and you'll be much less likely to be disappointed.

1Including, notably enough, ensuring the rule of law on their facilities. As they told the freshman class of almost entirely eighteen year olds at my first college, 'criminal activity is forbidden on campus. Remember, drinking is a personal choice, not something the university gets involved in.' They gave me exactly the same speech at the second place too, except pot got added the list of non-criminal personal choices.