View Single Post

Thread: Freefall: DOGGY!

1. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Freefall: DOGGY!

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I meant the extinction of Human life, sorry.
    That wouldn't be an aim, as the extinction of human life on Jean would also result in the destruction of robots on Jean as well.

If human life on Jean ended, then there was a problem with the robots, as their aim was to make Jean habitable for humans AND to ensure the lives of the human colonists. The death of the colonists would result in the destruction of the robots AND ensure the destruction of any robot that uses a similar Bowman architecture, as they would be seen as having a flaw. Rather than wait for the flaw to manifest, the easiest route would be to destroy all Bowman-architecture robots.

That humanity was dumb enough to just *use* the work of a Chimp without understanding it given what they know about Chimps is sticking a fork in the electrical socket on the species level. Granted, it's been suggested that what we know about chimps and what they know about chimps don't exactly sync up.
    Then again, humanity has shown a bit of a disconnect between what is possible and what should be done. Humans have used technology before they fully understood its ramifications or the potential drawbacks.

Whether human designed or chimp designed, it was the path of least effort. "This was designed, this works, I may not understand it, but it's useful to me and the creator(s) assure me that it does what's intended."
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2014-06-16 at 10:32 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.