Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
I think the three times Belkar expresses confusion suggest a progression to the character. The first time, he clearly is expressing bewilderment over the ethics of killing and trying to process it in a non-moralistic fashion. The second time ????? (two alternative readings). With Durkula there is clearly something deeper going on as Belkar continuously is expressing non-Belkar-like sentiments.
How is "that thing hurt me, so I want to kill it" a non-Belkar-like sentiment? Because that's all that Belkar actually has right now. He hasn't seen what's going on inside Durkula's head any more than the rest of the Order has.
Tarquin's every action screams evil, from how he runs his Empire to how he acquires his magic items, to how he throws his parties, to even how he takes his meals.
How about how he spends a day with his long-lost son? How Evil is that?
Belkar is giving genuine aid to the Order, is doing so pretty much gratis...
Belkar gets protection, adventure, experience, a share of treasure, and opportunities to kill strange and interesting new things. Being associated with them is very much to his benefit.
...and has yet to do something that betrays his "pretend" reformation...
You mean, something like bullying? Or deliberately putting himself in a position where he can kill someone? Or torture?
...by say winking and buddying up with Durkula (love your new color scheme!), which he would have done...oh wait he did!...one book ago.
Evil isn't one big happy family. Tarquin and Nale opposed each other as vigorously as Belkar is opposing Durkula; that doesn't mean one or the other of them is non-Evil.