Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
I know you gotta live up to your name, but you picked a very ironic suggested reason for the cutoff, considering Book 6 is when Weber finally kills off the last of the cartoonishly evil antagonists.
I stuck it out as far as Book 11. At that point most of the senior Havenite naval officer corps had become Good Guys (you could tell because they too had joined the legions of Honor's admirers immediately upon meeting her) who were merely on opposite sides by chance. Not to fear, though, because before their redemption they passed on the mustache-twirling caricature baton to the domestic political opposition within the Star Kingdom and Grayson, every single one of whom is portrayed as stupid, evil, and corrupt. As of course they must be, to disagree with Weber's obviously-correct-in-all-things protagonist!

And herein is my problem with the series. It's not the super-duper-special-ness, as thick as Weber lays it on, and it's not even the being-better-than-professionals-at-activities-she's-never-so-much-as-seen-before-ness. It's the way that across 11 books, the only time Honor is ever "wrong" is when she underestimates her own awesomeness. In every dispute or disagreement with another character - Every! Single! Time! - she's completely in the right, and it's entirely up to the other party to bring themselves into accord with her - there's never anything she needs to change about herself, her opinions, or her behavior.