1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Succession Game 2: Electric Boogaloo

Chapter 12

This being the diary of Ermesinda, First of Her Name, Duchess of Gascogne and Navarra

The burghers and clergy continue their petty squabble. I see no point in intervening.
    Spoiler
    Show

In the meantime, Sultan Garsiya licked his wounds long enough, and decided to launch his campaign of revenge.
    Spoiler
    Show

Unfortunately, the war went his way initially, the border provinces quickly falling.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sensing that I need to take a more active approach while Jaufre slowly, ever so slowly marshalls his troops behind the Pyrennes, I decided to "lend" Jaufre a little encouragement. The Catalan Company agrees enthusiastically.
    Spoiler
    Show

That was enough to get the Franks moving...
    Spoiler
    Show

and the aftermath was quite bloody
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile in the Far East, the heathens appeared to have spawned a new sect.
    Spoiler
    Show

With Garsiya properly put in his place, I quickly launched a campaign to sweep Toledo off the hapless sultan before he recovered.
    Spoiler
    Show

The audacity of my actions must have shocked his underlings, for the sultan was murdered not one year after my army marched onto Umayyad lands. His son, Utman quickly begged for peace.
    Spoiler
    Show

And Toledo was liberated! The spoils was quickly distributed, with dear Kisilo gaining a fiefdom of her own.
    Spoiler
    Show

Scarcely after the victory celebrations died, a messenger brought me grim news. The count of Bern, whom I have never met and certainly never knew, accused me of coming into the Duchy of Navarra wrongly. Hah, I scoffed, and called my generals to ready for war!
    Spoiler
    Show

Before our armies could march, however, another messenger descended from the capital. King Jaufre was dead! And his kingdom, held together tenously only by his person, was split asunder amongst his heirs.
    Spoiler
    Show

The worse was yet to come. While I tried to sort out the mess that came out of Jaufre's untimely death, the lords of Aragon decided to declare independence. In Bearn, I hear reports of the new King of Aquitaine, King Simon, had commandeered one of my castle to call his own. He sends me his "thanks". I tore up that letter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Such blatant disrespect. Gascogne shall not bow to such a king. Freedom!
    Spoiler
    Show

Serendipitously, I also arranged for my younger son, who so far had remained landless, to be married to the new Queen of Aragon.
    Spoiler
    Show

None shall stand before our might!
    Spoiler
    Show

And with our independence secure, I hereby declare the new Kingdom of Navarra.
    Spoiler
    Show

Omniously though, Sultan Utman had wasted no time trying to regain his former lands. Already, Albaraccin had fallen to the Moors, and he was now rampaging through Aragon. I quickly offered to join the war, partly to halt the heathen, but also to impress the still independent lords of Aragon back into our fold, familial ties likewise.
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, the war goes as expected.
    Spoiler
    Show

And the lords properly reminded of their place.
    Spoiler
    Show

Only one final task remains. To reclaim Bearn. Which was done quickly and efficiently.
    Spoiler
    Show

At last, I can finally rest...
    Spoiler
    Show

tl;dr
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Acquired Navarra proper.
    • Instituted Elective succession to get favoured son onto the throne.
    • Snatched Toledo off the Umayyad.
    • Kingdom broke up suddenly, lost half of our vassals, some smug schmuck kicks us out of Bearn.
    • Declare independence successfully, formed kingdom of Navarra.
    • Managed to get back most of our lands pre-breakup.

Save.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-07-06 at 08:41 AM.