"I don't know much," replies Lirian, fighting to keep from rushing into a torrent of explanation, "After all, I'm here for somewhat selfish reasons. When I met with Sylvia this morning, she seemed convinced that somthing terrible was about to happen, and was rather resigned to whatever fate befell her. Now, I can't have anything bad happening to my favorite librarian, not to mention friend, so I pushed her to find somewhere safe where she could explain in full. Then there was some trouble starting in the streets as we made our way here, and I wound up following her to be sure she was alright. Honestly, I was not expecting to be here: I started today only wishing to find her so I could ask some more questions about some work I'm doing on this old book," She almost hesitates, trying to remember how much she's said to Sylvia about the fictional book's origins, and decides to add a bit more to the lie to flesh it out, "which we took off of some shapeshifter named Senn who we fought and killed on one of our adventures."
Best lace the lies with truth, she thinks to herself, It will make them easier to tell. And make that promise of secrecy easier to keep.
"So that's how I got here. And what I know." She looks to Sylvia.