View Single Post

Thread: Favorite Martial Base Classes and why?

1. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Favorite Martial Base Classes and why?

Since this thread has an explicite Pathfinder tag:

The Barbarian, never played one yet but it's the class that intrigues me the most.
    Why: it's a mundane class that can not only dish out pain, it also gets tools and defenses against magic, and at least a little out of combat utility by way of skills.
    I'd roll one in our current game, but it wouldn't really fit for story/roleplaying reasons.

Runner-up: a tie between Ranger and Paladin.
    Paladin: Really greatly upgraded compared to the 3.5 Core version. Less MAD, much better Smite, reasonable class features, interesting archetypes.
    Downsides: lack of skills; one of your class features is the ability to lose all of your class features with a single action.

Ranger: can be very satisfying to play as a Switch Hitter. In both Melee and Ranged, you are _almost_ as good as a Fighter specialized in either style, AND you've got a pile of skills that make for excellent out of combat utility (at least at low levels, before skills get replaced by magic).

If 3.5 classes are a thing, then scratch everything I said above, then the Warblade is the undisputed King of the Hill. Hail to the King!
    Last edited by Firechanter; 2014-07-21 at 03:55 PM.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.