View Single Post

Thread: So I've made the ultimate Anti-Mage???

1. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So I've made the ultimate Anti-Mage???

Which is incorrect.

Here are 3 questions with arguments that could be considered equally valid.
    The example problem: "The sun is hurting my eyes." An orc gets dazzled in the sunlight, and he wishes to correct that. Will it blot out the sun?

1) Is this a condition?
    In this case, the answer is yes. The game says it is. Sometimes the game doesn't say it counts.

2) Does it need to be measured it rounds?
    The English is ambiguous here. If the answer is yes, then you can't. If it is no, then you can stop this condition.

EDIT: I actuallt reread the ability. It's not an Oxford comma or anything. It simply doesn't apply to anything without a measured duration. It could be read that anything instantaneous (Seething Eyebite) or otherwise without an in-game duration (living) isn't affected, Like how Touch isn't a fixed range.
    3) What does it do to change the problem?
    It puts out the sun, or it fixes your eyes. One is less ridiculous than the other. Never being the dazzled by the sun again is pretty nice, but that's different from potential ending life on Earth. In fact, the problem can be solved so many ways in game (sun is slightly less bright, player remembers that his character can't even make the spot check, character goes blind), that I should point out that the absurd option is only 1 out of hundreds. It's up to DM fiat to produce an effect outside of the rules, which is well outside the scope of a RAW discussion.

This is a whole other argument, too. Applying real-world logic to this gaming situation says something as tiny as an orc wouldn't have an effect on the sun. In the storytelling sense, something so easily done (5th level) would have been done in a destroy-the-world plot. In-universe, it would have happened already if it could happen.

All three of these have to be true for you to You have (AT BEST!) a 1/9 chance of remotely being correct. You can't prove one. This is insipid. Splitting it into prongs is wrong, because this is actually a system of poor reasoning and bad arguments.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-21 at 08:39 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.