2) If your going with this explanation, then you may want to edit your wire wolf entry, as it says that the creatures of the wastes don't eat biomass. Dues this also mean that the creatures of the wastes grow like pokemon? Meaning that they consume some things and poof suddenly they appear in a somewhat better form. I'm also guessing that they can consume flesh or metal as well.

4) I still think that metal dwarf corpses should be found in the wastes, especially next to whatever caused the metalifcation. On a similar note, what happens when a child is born in the wastes? I would assume that you get a metal baby and a dead mother, unless the mother is given a C-section by a experienced surgeon.

My inner player says that I'd try to get a drill vole familiar or animal companion or other form of pet and bring it with me on all my adventures. Whether they are in the Gear Wastes or not. Unless the ranger prestige class you mentioned allows you to somehow feed power into an animal companion, I think this would be an adventure involving searching old research labs and messing around with things better left alone.