For a perspective from someone on the complete opposite end of the spectrum: I tried the free demo a few months ago, so if anything, give that a shot and see if you like it. For me, it was utterly baffling the amount of freedom the game gives you. Want to captain a battleship armed to the teeth with lasers? Go for it. Want to accept contracts to haul other players' cargo across dangerous space? Go for it. Want to be a pirate and attack players hauling other player's cargo? Go for it. Want to simply dock in a station and build ships for other players? You get the idea.

My problem with it is that it's really hard to start out. The two week trial was not enough to really get to do anything more involved. The tutorial could also use some work, as it doesn't really explain things too well. It also has the problem of giving you new ship components as rewards for finishing missions, but then doesn't explain that you need a skill book to use it, and that you get the required skill book as part of a separate tutorial branch. I wasted a lot of money buying skill books that I then got for free in a later mission.

I get the feeling that if you really want to experience all the game has to offer, you need to pay for a few months. That gives you time to build the money necessary to accept some of the contracts (they make you pay collateral ahead of time to dissuade you from accepting a cargo transport contract and just stealing it). It also helps you apply for corporations, since most won't let you join as a trial account. Plus, you get to make friends/contacts/enemies that could potentially help you out.

So, I guess I would say to try the free trial. If you like the gameplay but feel like you need more time to get to know it, buy a month, and then go from there.

(P.S. When you're doing a delivery tutorial mission, make sure you've loaded the cargo into your ship before making six jumps and realizing you left it behind.)