Quote Originally Posted by Boring McReader View Post
I'll confess that Blackwing is not very high on my list of favorite characters. I'd like to understand him better, but I'm not familiar with the lore behind familiars. What is he, exactly? What links him to Vaarsuvius, and what drives his personality? Why does he seem to be completely and selflessly devoted to the team's quest? He often comes across as a cheerleader in his interactions.
Blackwing isn't just magically bound, he's soul-bound to V. If V knew of this, it implies that he didn't care enough about the soul of his familiar while making a deal which would have damned it more or less temporarily to hell. I don't know what else it can imply, but, if I had to look for an explanation, I'd say there's a contract between V and BW, in which V gave BW more power than a common bird could have and BW accepted to use it in V's service. For the exchange to be made, the souls had to be bound. But if V had known this, would BW also have known?

Anyway, you can understand that BW is a magical raven by his yellow beak. That's where his magic lies hidden! It's a shared trait with Mr Poe, Magica de Spell's brother and familiar. Normal ravens have a black beak.