View Single Post

Thread: Crossroads II: I'm on a Mammoth.

1. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crossroads II: I'm on a Mammoth.

Okay, two things.

Skills
    For one, I've mostly finished with the canoeing and the profession rank-swap rules. Still working on the wording of the survival changes. However, I have added a few things that weren't int he handle canoe skill, and changed a few other things. For example, now, you add your str mod x 5ft to your canoe's speed.
    Spoiler: Canoeing
    Show
    Canoeing
    You can use swim checks to propel a canoe or other personal watercraft, such as a kayak, bull-boat, or small raft. While the basic use of a canoe is easily enough understood, it takes a certain amount of experience or training to maneuver one through more challenging situations. A character without the canoe mastery feat automatically fails any canoeing check with a DC greater than 20. Maneuvering a canoe downstream over a calm river requires no check, and it moves at the speed of the river's current. Stronger characters can propel their canes faster than the current though, increasing the canoe's speed by 5 ft per point of strength modifier. If a canoe has multiple paddlers, use the strongest character's strength modifier.

Task DC
    Maneuver Canoe 10
    Traverse Deep Lakes 10
    Reverse Direction 15
    Right Canoe 15
    Perform 90-degree turn 20
    Traverse Low (<10 ft) Falls 20
    Traverse High (11-20 ft) Falls 30
    Traverse Perilous (21-30 ft) Falls 40
    Heavy Cargo +2
    Slow Rapids +5
    Strong Winds +5
    Swift Rapids +10
    Close Waterfall +10
    Dangerous Rapids +15

Maneuver Canoe: Moving over the river in most situations requires no checks. However, moving through rapids, or shallow water, or avoiding a hazard, requires the canoeist to make a maneuver canoe check. This DC is modified by conditions such as a heavy load, rapids, strong winds, the presence of a waterfall, or similar. This is a full-round action. Failing such a check may end

Traverse Deep Lakes: Deep lakes — lakes with a maximum depth of 50 feet or more — are not always as easy to cross as a slow-flowing, calm river. Deepwater lakes can have hidden currents that can take a canoe, and winds often gust over the surface of the water, creating whitecaps. One check represents up to an hour of travel, however if any other action of any type is made during that hour, another check to traverse deep lakes must be made following that action.

Reverse Direction: Reversing direction is a difficult maneuver even in the best of conditions. The maneuver consists of first bringing the canoe to a relative stop, then working the canoe back in the other direction. The maneuver is a full-round action. If this maneuver fails, the canoe overturns, some or all cargo is spilled, and all passengers are sent into the water.

Right Canoe: A canoe that has overturned (whether completely upside down or on its side and swamped with water) can quickly become a deadly situation. Righting an overturned canoe is not easy, but can be done. This maneuver is full-round action.

Perform 90-Degree Turn: Like reversing direction, performing a 90 degree turn is an extremely difficult maneuver. Usually, this involves swinging the canoe crossways against either the current or the wind. Performing this maneuver is a full-round action. If this maneuver fails, the canoe overturns, some or all cargo is spilled, and all passengers are sent into the water.

Traverse Low (<10 ft.) Falls: Some skilled canoeists are able to steer a canoe over a waterfall in such a way that the canoe does not overturn at the bottom, and no cargo is spilled. Performing this maneuver is a full-round action.

If the maneuver fails, the canoe overturns, some or all cargo is spilled, and all passengers are sent into the water. Even if the maneuver succeeds, passengers (except the character performing the skill check) must succeed at a DC 10 Strength or Dexterity check to keep from being thrown out.

Traverse High (11 ft. to 20 ft.) Falls: Even more difficult than falls of 10 feet or less are those waterfalls between 11 feet and 20 feet high. Performing this maneuver is a full-round action.

If the maneuver fails, the canoe overturns, some or all cargo is spilled, and all passengers are sent into the water. Even if the maneuver succeeds, passengers (except the character performing the skill check) must succeed at a DC 15 Strength or Dexterity check to keep from being thrown out.

Traverse Perilous (21 ft. to 30 ft.) falls: The most experienced and skilled of all canoeists are able to guide their canoes in relative safety over waterfalls between 21 feet high and 30 feet high. Performing this maneuver is a full-round action.

If the maneuver fails, the canoe overturns, some or all cargo is spilled, and all passengers are sent into the water. Even if the maneuver succeeds, passengers (except the character performing the skill check) must succeed at a DC 20 Strength or Dexterity check to keep from being thrown out.

Waterfalls of 31 feet or more in height cannot be safely maneuvered over.

Heavy Load: In rapids and shallow water, the DC of a check is increased by +2 for every 100 pounds (cargo and passengers combined) in the canoe. If shallows are too low to cross, some passengers may need to get out of the canoe and wade alongside it in order for the canoe to make it.

Slow Rapids: Shallow rapids are those with few protruding rocks and not much whitewater. Attempting to maneuver a canoe in such rapids increases the DC by +5.

Strong Winds: Strong winds can make it more challenging to maneuver a canoe, and may even turn over a canoe that is unprepared. Attempting to maneuver a canoe in such winds increases the DC by +5.

Swift Rapids: Swift, deep rapids are those rapids with some protruding rocks and at least a small amount of whitewater. Attempting to maneuver a canoe in such rapids increases the DC by +10.

Close Waterfall: The pull of a waterfall is very hard to resist, and can spell disaster to an unprepared canoeist. Attempting to maneuver a canoe within 50 feet of the top of a waterfall increases the DC by +10. This DC increase does not apply if the maneuver in question is traversing the waterfall.

Dangerous Rapids: Dangerous whitewater rapids are one of the most difficult conditions for a canoeist to maneuver through. Dangerous rapids are those rapids with many large boulders or rocks protruding from the water and more whitewater than other types of rapids. Attempting to maneuver a canoe in such rapids increases the DC by +15.

Action: Varies, as detailed above. Generally, getting in and out of a canoe is a move action.

Canoe Mastery
    You are experienced in maneuvering or operating a canoe, and can accomplish more challenging feats than an untrained canoeist.
    Benefits: You no longer automatically fail canoeing checks with a DC greater than 20.

Spoiler: Profession
    Show

Special: One's profession covers a range of widely-varied, but somewhat specific skills. When making a skill check that directly relates to a task that would be part of your profession's normal operations, you can substitute your ranks in that skill with your ranks in the profession skill. Such a check still uses the original skill's modifiers and base ability, just substituting the profession ranks for the skill's normal ranks. For example. A character with ranks in profession (sailor) would be able to use their profession ranks in place of their ranks in climb, if they were using it to climb the rigging of a ship. They would still apply any racial modifiers to climb or any item bonuses that would apply, and would still use their strength modifier for the check.

Two: this is the last weekend of the month, which means that according to tradition, next weekend is the crossroads skype call! The default time is Saturday, about 2 PM EST. Hopefully I'll have my computer back by then, but I can probably make this one work if strictly necessary. If anyone has a conflict with that time, let me know, and we can work out some new time. If you would like to be added to the call, please PM me with your skype info and I'll add you into the group.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-08-02 at 12:26 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show