Just to be clear, I'm not taking with the fact that there's no way for the final battle to "make up" for other failings of the movie or silence critics. Like I said, I'm not denying the movie has flaws or that it's remotely unreasonable to dislike it. I'm arguing that many of the specific criticisms leveled against it are incoherent as critiques. My argument isn't that the final battle should make you like the movie, or even that you should like the final battle, but that some of the specifics arguments for why the final battle is bad just aren't really tenable. The same way it's fine to object to the way Pa Kent is portrayed, but a lot of the objections to the tornado scene pretty much rely on intentionally misreading the scene so that it conforms to the complaints.

I don't care if people hate the movie, or even hate the scenes in question; I just ask that they hate it with a little more critical rigor. Hate Man of Steel all you want, but hate it like Nabokov hated 1984, not like frat boys hate Jane Austen.