View Single Post

Thread: Why all the hate for Man of Steel?

1. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why all the hate for Man of Steel?

Even ignoring complaints related to Superman not acting like Superman, or loss of life in Metropolis (which personally didn't bother me)...

The movie wasn't good. The acting was... I found Anakin and Padme's romance more convincing; though can't actually say I blame the actors, but that the writing and direction rather forced it (except Zod who chewed enough scenery to be amusing). The story just wasn't interesting without relying on the idea that this is Superman and drawing upon nostalgia and such for Superman, which can work (I quite liked the new Star Trek movies, but they, especially the first one, rely upon 'hey it's Star Trek'). The film runs on telling us that Superman is a hero without showing us that he's really a hero. Then there's the action. I mean the big fight is just boring; the washed out aesthetic makes the fight scene uninteresting, the shaky cam makes it hard to watch, the whole thing is uninteresting. Let's say it's just an action movie, that you're watching it for the fight and special effects, and not because of it's Superman, and the fight scenes are uninteresting there is a problem. Let's compare to Avengers, as both have fairly long, drawn out 3rd Act big fights and are super-hero movies. Avengers has interesting choreography, gives us a variety of multiple tactics and fighting styles, has the space whale versus the Hulk, Captain America's heroic moments, Hawkeye's shooting Loki, and Hulk Smash puny god. MoS has kryptonians punching each other. Even compare to Thor: the Dark World, the travel between the worlds, the swirling darkness, Mjolnir's attempts to return to Thor, Thor's need to figure out a way to defeat Malachite other than brute force; these made the fight interesting. MoS has... punching, flying, punching, and neck snapping.

I could talk about it not Superman not acting like Superman, but really if it had been good enough to stand on its own I wouldn't care that much. I mean I like the new Star Trek films even if Kirk acts like some internet meme version of Kirk as opposed to acting like Captain Kirk. Those were enjoyable despite it feeling like it was made by people who didn't really know or like Star Trek. This failed as a movie and, unlike the not actually particularly interesting/enjoyable older Superman movies you didn't have the sense that the makers loved the character and hoped you would too; that's not much, but it helps. I liked Superman (the live action film) as a child, and Superman IV, and while I wouldn't like them now, I wouldn't have liked this as a child. I might have liked it when I was 15? Maybe? I'm not sure I would have even then. I will note if the movie hadn't been about Superman it wouldn't be hated. It wouldn't be talked about at all. The only draw of the movie was that it was Superman and that's a bad sign. I don't like Iron Man, he's never interested me as a hero, the Iron Man movie managed to draw me in despite a pre-existing dislike of the character. I love Spider-Man and think none of the movie portrayals of Spider-Man do him justice, but I enjoy those none the less even Spider-Man 3 which really I can't think of a redeeming quality except that it managed to be entertaining even if messing up my favorite superhero.

Also Zod was a poor choice as the villain for the first movie. He contrasts Superman, but you need to establish Superman as Superman first. This was a poor choice of first villain. Unfortunately I can't think of a good first villain for Superman. Luthor is played out with Superman Returns. Darkseid is a worse choice than Zod, though I'd have avoided Zod entirely to save the dark mirror contrast for Darkseid. Braniac is the best I can think of, but really I'm mostly familiar with his villains from the DCAU.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-07-28 at 02:34 AM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)