Yes bears can open car doors, or just rip the door off the car...

Anyway me and the guys got together and grilled tri tips yesterday.
We went the easy route and bought some preseasoned tri-tip in a bag. They were however amazing.

The key to cook a large piece of meat is simple:

Step one: You sear both sides, about ten minutes per side

Step two: if you have a gas grill, you kick the burners to low, close the lid and cook it low and slow. Depending on how much meat you cooking and you’re preferred doneness it shouldn't take more than about 45 minutes.

Alternate step two: Charcoal is the same concept, but slightly different, you have physically move the meat to a cooler part of the grill to prevent it from becoming a massive hockey puck, allow it to cook low and slow as well.

There’s a couple of different ways to do this.

When you set your fire up, you should pile all the coals on one side of the grill so one side is much hotter than the other.
Or you could place a metal container (like those big super heavy duty “casserole” pans that are disposable work well) filled with water in the grill, spreading the fire out to either side of it. So it would be coals-pan- coals. This I believe regulates the heat more evenly and helps prevent one side from cooking faster than the others and burning. I think it’s sort of like having a pizza stone in your oven, I’m not 100% sure on the science behind it, but it seems to work.

The last piece of advice on charcoal grilling is to not use lighter fluid, instead get a chimney starter from the local hardware store and some barbeque starter cubes and a box of matches. You fill the chimney starter with briquettes, place a starter cube or two in the grill, light it with a match then place the chimney starter over it. Your coals’ are ready when white ash forms on their tops. You’re not spraying around flammable chemicals, its already contained and it’s just superb method of starting a fire for barbecue/grilling.