Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Already been covered, but Vitamin C can be far from harmless. You already seem to know this, though, so I don't know what your point was except to be misleading.
My apologies - I didn't mean to be misleading. It's just that I'm tired of all the scaremongering (had an argument with a fructose alarmist earlier so I'm a little cranky) particularly with vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimtina View Post
Yeah so? It is still a health risk.
My reply to both your and Serpentine's points, is that taking that point of view means that doing anything is a potential health risk - it's all a matter of evaluating the acceptable risk.

You need considerable ingestion over an extended period for Vitamin C to cause a health risk, such that barring any other underlying conditions, you would have to be taking silly amounts orally on a daily basis. If you'd like me to look up this value, I can.

Here's a fun fact: water fails the occupational exposure limits for hazardous chemicals*, which used to be defined as ingestion of 100 times the daily exposure in a single dose should produce no adverse side effects - 100 times the recommended total daily intake of water is 370 litres, which simply isn't physically possible.

Does that mean you should stop drinking water as it's a health risk?

*This is a silly example if it isn't obvious - OELs are now defined on a case by case basis but water does have a oral LD50 of 90ml/kg: link.