View Single Post

Thread: Death's End IC II

1. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Death's End IC II

Arran, Ben: The sample that you examine is unusual indeed. Under the intense scrutiny of your craft, you discover that the level of iron in the sample is greatly depleted, leaving the fluid without any actual nutritive substance. It is no less drained than the man on the pallet. There may very well be some disease at work within him, one of a supernatural nature. Whatever the corruption was that so afflicted him, mundane arts have no hope of identifying it.

"I have tried a cure myself, but the disease is strong. It will not leave his body without a display of force that I am not prepared to expend." Lender has a trio of other clerical staff behind him now, all wearing the grey robes of acolytes. Among them is the young woman who opened the door for you. One of them carries a small chest, which he opens to reveal a small trove of items. A small case of potions takes up most of the space within the compartment, many of which have been neatly labelled as curative measures of all kinds. Two of them seem to close and repair mundane wounds, but another two are labelled with the word 'sanctuary' and another with 'shield of Sirramar'. All seem most applicable for defense rather than offense.

The other three items in the chest seem more sacrosanct. The first is a light silver cord, that looks to be worn around the body like a belt. It is matched by a silver vestment, which is set with a circle of nine semiprecious gemstones surrounding a raised, silver hemisphere. Last, see a small black leather box attaches to two leather straps worn around the brow. Inside the box is a parchment of sacred prayers to Sirramar. It seems as though the items are all meant to be worn together.

And as you raise the items, the light catches off of a magnificent longsword nestled in velvet folds at the bottom of the container. Its hilt is characterized by the twelve-pointed star of the old gods, but its blade looks newly-forged. It seems to contain an inner radiance, but at the same time seems not quite of this world.

"These represent some of the most hallowed items under Sirramar's roof, brought out only in times of emergency. They will bolster your spirit and deepen your connection with the gods. And the sword... 'Corona'... will strike down any foes of justice, especially certain kinds of undead. In return for our trust, we ask only that you use these tools wisely."

Spoiler: Item Haul
    Show
    Alright, first you have two potions of cure moderate wounds, two potions of sanctuary, and a potion of shield of faith +4. As for the wondrous items, you've got the ephod of authority, cord of favor, and the phylactery of virtue, all pieces of the set known as the 'Vestments of Divinity', found in pages 214-215 of the MiC. You can make a Knowledge (Religion) check to learn more about the lore behind the set, but basically it enhances the abilities of good clerics. Finally, the blade is a +2 holy ghost touch longsword.

Calia, Elara, Myr: The longer you stand in front of the wall, the more you are convinced that there are no secret passageways or entrances to be found here. There aren't any catches in the stone, no real notable features to speak of. That does not mean that there isn't anything to find, however. Under the harsh light of Myr's lantern, you can make out the vague shape of a glistening scrawl across the masonry. Someone has written a message in the scented oil. Writing in blood would have been spotted and erased, so no doubt this substance is only visible under certain conditions. Furthermore, you detect a very faint aura of abjuration around the writing: a ward to protect the message from being washed away.

As the three of you trace the message, you can see that the hand was hurried. At a guess, whoever took the time to pass on the warning paid for it dearly. There is only one word.

Custodians.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may roll Knowledge (Local) or Knowledge (History) to try and figure out more about the Custodians, if you desire.

Lirian: The hallway that Oberon directs you down is studiously blank. The walls, floor, and ceiling are a neutral slate grey, with torches set at regular intervals to provide a healthy amount of light. Each of the corridors seems to run into another corridor, and there are few doors to speak of. Wherever the Six have taken you, there is little hope of navigating it without some knowledge of the layout. The only sound you hear is that of your own footsteps. Even that is muted, and you realize that the walls here are most likely proofed for sound.

Oberon stops in front of a door that looks like all the rest. The handle opens with a soft click, revealing a comfortable living area complete with several couches, a wooden table and chairs, and a fireplace. There is no heat emanating from the flames, which leads you to conclude that the latter is in fact illusory. At the end of the chamber, an open doorway leads into an immaculate bedroom. There are several ventilation panels placed at either end of the living quarters, each less than a foot across. In here, if you please. Oberon walks over to one of the fine chairs at the end of the table, inviting you to take a seat.

These are to be your chambers for the time being. I would take this time I have given you to rest and relax. There is a larder stocked with food and beverages, should you require them. I have other errands to attend to, but I'll be returning soon. If you would like company, just ring the bell next to the door here, and someone will join you shortly. The instruments I gave you take some adjustment, but after a while I promise you won't even notice that they're there. The robed man pauses as he heads for the door. Oh, and I'll be holding onto Frost for the time being. You can get him back when you've proven your loyalty to me. I promise you that no harm will come to him under my care.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2014-08-15 at 05:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."