I had just started my second campaign as GM, with a steampunkish setting. Anyway, the players (a barbarian, a warlock/fighter, a rogue/sorceror and a knight) had been given the task to sneak into one of the pyramids to find a relic. Aided briefly by lvl 20 NPC, treasure hunter Harrison Jones, they found the right entrance, and were then left on their own while he "went to find another way in". At first they managed to remember to search for traps, but eventually forgot, and the warlock and knight were poisoned. After a few fights, they were quite deep in the dungeon, and had taken a lot of damage. The warlock had decided at some point to stop opening the trapped sarcophogi, but used detect magic in every new room. They soon found some healing scrolls, a ring and a bracer, but at one point they had opened a sarcophagus but couldn't find the item (really bad spot rolls). However, the rogue caught a lucky break, and spotted a ring, which he quickly grabbed and put on his finger, despite the warlock having mentioned earlier to put all the items in a bag for later identification. It was a cursed ring of enfeeblement, which made it now extremely hard for him to pass the increasingly difficult detect traps. Somehow they managed to pass their rolls, and wound up in the main chamber of the tomb.

I described as a huge chamber, filled with about two hundred large statues, and a walkway in the middle. As they looked up to the walkway, they saw Mr Harrison Jones running across it, chased by several web mummies. The warlock boldly entered the room and cast detect magic items, I told him there was magic everywhere. Apparently that translated to him as "go smash a statue", which he promptly did, activating the 199 remaining ones. Several dozen heavy spears immediately flew towards the pcs, skewering the knight instantly. The rogue, being feeble, had no chance to sprint, and was squished shortly after. With over 100 angry statues running towards them, the barbarian grabbed the warlock and ran for it, but promptly failed his first con check, and turned to fight for his life. The warlock decided to repay the favour by trying to run, but also failed his con check. He was skewered, but only went to -5 HP. The barbarian managed to kill two statues, before taking six spears to the chest and being instagibbed. Now ignoring the unconcious warlock, the statues returned to the chamber, while the warlock failed each stabilize check, and bled out alone in the dark tomb.

It was the first time for me as DM actually killing a PC, but the foolish behaviour had to be punished. In character, however, the group agreed that it had been a very realistic outcome for four strangers thrust together in a group. :)