Quote Originally Posted by Kapow View Post
The Night Tower - A Meeting by the Night-Light

As the Traveller and his bird-friend were just about to leave the city, a glimpse of light caught Fáin's attention.
No mortal could ever have distinguished the tiny wisp from the bright light of the tower, but to him, it was like he could see again for the briefest of moments.

"Up there Oovi", he said, "it seems we don't have to travel far to find the lantern bearer."

Without further delay, he matched his size once again to mount the bird and they took of to the top of the tower, where a shrouded figure stood solely.

"Greetings to you Syrid, I'm glad that you have found the light, and I really have to say, you have put it to good use."
"How have you fared, other than that?"
"What?"
"Oh, I apologize. This here, is my good friend
Oovi."
"Well hello there" Syrid said through a smile, extending his hand and gently patting the large avian. He turned to the Traveler. "I did not expect to see you again so soon, I certainly hope I have pleased you."

Syrid spoke stiffly, unsure how he ought to act. Was he to see this man as a god (for clearly he was,) a father (for he had sired him,) or an equal, as the two goddesses he had met earlier had.

"I will be honest with you, I am unsure of my place. It is a marvelous thing, your gift to me. I can shape reality at my whim and raise fortresses with a thought-but still I am unsure of my purpose. To guide: that is what they said. But how am I to guide when I cannot even see my own path before me? Why should I be a beacon in the night when shadows only obscure?"
The rotating beam of the tower passed behind them, each of the three shadows stretching out long into the horizon before vanishing again as the light moved past them. Syrid looked down upon the city. "I see the people below. I know that it is good. I know that I am bringing together nations in a time of peace but I still cannot shake the feeling that I am not doing enough. That I should be down among them." He sighed, and looked towards the elder god next to him. "Perhaps I was only a courier." He extended out the lantern to the traveler. "You claimed this was yours, did you not? Will you take back your sight or leave it here, without direction?"