1. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Watch Durkoala explore the Magical Girl Genre!

You know, it's quite impressive that an anime so old still looks so good when compared to the most recent stuff coming out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Thanks! I like history lessons that are shorter than four paragraphs. Isn't that generally the plot of most kids programmes ever, though? And does that mean that the idea of a magical girl having a signature pose was already well established like Tomoya implies?
    Yes.

I would also add to the history lession that Card Captor Sakura was one of the first magical girl animes to get widely distributed outside Japan. The only other such anime that got anywhere as much popularity before in other countries was Sailor Moon.

And to that we can add that CCS was a turning pointing in the genre, with many later magical girl animes directly borrowing stuff first introduced here.

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I noticed that earlier, but forgot to mention it. I think it's pretty weird. Did her mother make it or something?
    No.
    Spoiler: Minor spoiler, you can probably safely read it
    Show

Tomoyo made it. As a "test dummy" for Sakura's new customes before starting to make real-life sized ones. As implied in episode 2 that you already saw, Tomoyo has been sewing for Sakura for quite some time now.

Only revealed around mid-season though, can't remember exact episode.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2014-08-19 at 05:06 PM.