Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
They are a bit overexposed, I think. I quite like them as an idea, especially maid/wife whatshername, but it feels like they've been in way too many episodes. Since when does the Doctor love Victorian times so much?
Actually, this is one of the things that makes sense to me. The Doctor lived in (or rather, above) Victorian London for an unknown, but potentially quite long, period of time following the loss of Amy and Rory and before meeting Clara, and the Paternoster gang were his only real contact with "reality". It might be the place and time he stayed longest, besides Trenzalore, which wasn't through choice anyway.

(Difficult to say, though, as the Eleventh Doctor had an exceptionally long life, possibly longer than all previous Doctors put together, and it's not anything close to clear where he spent all that time or how long he spent in various places).

But in any case, it might well be that following those experiences, and in the absence of Gallifrey, it's the place in real-space/time he considers closest to his home, which might also explain why the TARDIS took him there after the dinosaur ate it and the Doctor wasn't up to the job - either it took him somewhere it considered relatively safe, or Victorian London is the Eleventh's "homepage" and where it heads to when the emergency button is pushed.