Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
Most players won't go all out unless they have the safe go ahead from the DM. And even if this happened in my game...I could just switch from undead to anything else with no problem. Mine would never be an ''offical told the players it would be all undead'' type game.
If your players would never go all out without your explicit go ahead, what's the risk in telling your players that there's an undead game afoot? Also, seriously, the stated premise was secretly Ravenloft game with a rogue. I don't really see the issue with having that be the premise.

Ok, it's not like I don't say that. So....
So, as long as that's all you need to tell folks, you're fine. However, I suspect that there's lots of hidden stuff that goes unsaid, as you've said as much.
Sure, there are just not many with enough flavor.
Flavor and mechanics are really separate things. If you don't like the flavor of stuff, then you can trivially adjust that without ever touching the base rules of the game.

Only the hyper controlling player with lots of deep personal problems would say my house rules ''control a character''. It's not like ''sometimes your summoning spells will miss summon'' equals ''your character is now under my control and you will do this''.
Given that one of your past examples was a cleric casting silence, and then his god making it shout instead to wake folks up (or the opposite. I don't recall which, exactly.), I think you're wrong on this one. Also, it's not, "Sometimes summoning spells will summon the wrong thing," but rather, "Sometimes summoning spells will summon something that's entirely based on my whim."