View Single Post

Thread: Help with a GURPS character.

1. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Help with a GURPS character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
    Hey, two threads ... didn't see this one.

First of all: I agree that it's hard to talk about what your character should be without knowing the mechanics of the game. However, I'm also one of those GMs that tell their players to focus on the character concept and not the character sheet ... Sometimes it works out. And the character concept is definitely important!

So ...
    Telekinesis, Teleportation, Flight, controlling Time

Let's assume you can have all that (point-wise and the GM agrees to e.g. the Time thing).

What do you want? Is there anything you cannot have? Is there anything you need? Are there others like you? Do you even know them? What do you think of regular humans?

What's your personality and motivation? Megalomaniac? Sulking because you're the least-powered of your alien race? Mother issues? Saving Earth from overpopulation by humans?

That's your background. But for a good story, think about how you, likely a quite evil being, can fit into a game without immediately fighting the other super villains. Are you related? Have truly common goals? Is there a greater power directing you (the super-villain league)? Do you just pretend to work together? (The last one is an easy excuse, but it can break the game by starting inner-party fighting the moment you should have "won".)

Anyway, back to your powers:
    Is there a unifying concept to them or a source? Telekinesis, Teleportation, Time ... Those could be roughly explained by a dimension-bending power because you're from a 12-dimensional world.
    Psi also works as an explantion for almost anything.
    Telekinesis can be a source itself, but then Teleportation and Time Control are harder to explain. (Flight is just self-applied telekinesis or pushing off the ground or some such.) BTW: Telekinesis is more than a special effect: There's an advantage Telekinesis which mostly works like Strength at a distance and can be used to punch etc., I think, though Innate Attacks are probably a good complement.

Do your powers rely on something? Magic or Mana? Ancient or alien or ultra-tech artefacts? Will power? Gods? Blood? Radioctivity? Do you have any other weaknesses?

Did you always have these powers? If not, did you have to earn them or did they come to you naturally?

Here's a fair warning, though:
    GURPS Powers has some notes on game-stopping abilities. Those are likely to make interesting plots really hard or impossible to pull off. They include Mind-Control/Mind-Reading/Precognition, because all mysteries are suddenly gone; Insubstantiality and Teleportation, because bypassing any security system makes McGuffins too easy to get; and some more.

So your GM might have to restrict your powers somewhat, if you want all those, or make them not work unless you can see the sun or whatever.

Regards
    Ts
    I'm not entirely sure of the angle I want to take with my story. I'm leaning towards being from an eons old benevolent hyper psionicaly power race sent to assist the world for some reason but secretly I've been subjugating worlds in an attempt to build up my own power so I can overthrow my comrades and RULE THE GALAXY!

So far I'm looking at
    Doesn't breath
    Doesn't eat
    Doesn't sleep
    Compartmentalized mind
    Damage resistance
    Extra hit points
    Injury tolerance
    Regeneration - Extreme
    Resistant sickness - immunity
    Unaging
    Unkillable
    Psychokinetic
    Flight
    Telekinesis
    Telekinesis super effort area effect
    Warp
    Telecommunications - telesend
    Telepathy
    Mind reading
    Insubstationality
    Last edited by Invader; 2014-08-31 at 08:05 AM.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!