View Single Post

Thread: Your opinon on Tome of Battle

1. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Your opinon on Tome of Battle

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    It just feels like that's such a limited justification for doing anything with the fighter over doing just about anything else. At that point, you might as well just start tossing arbitrary crap at the wall, under the assumption that someone will enjoy the arbitrary crap's crappy game feel. It's also obviously not a justification for fixing the fighter in any fashion, or not adding ToB, if that's a thing that was being argued.
    Clairification: The bolded section is not being argued and has not been argued since near the beginning of this thread. Most(all?) of the posters still posting are fans of ToB even if not all of them would play any of the 3 Martial Adepts in that book.

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    But if you can claim a justification for anything, then you can really claim a justification for anything. Thus, I think there needs to be either more justification for the fighter's value along these lines, or otherwise along some other lines. Otherwise, you'd be equally well off spending your time improving the class that consumes pies of various flavors in order to obtain temporary bursts of enlightenment, and then uses that to spout off rants that align with various philosophical models doling out detrimental status effects to listeners that vaguely correspond to confusion and boredom, flavored around the particular philosophy being used. Also, that sounds cool. They should have actually done that.
    I am having trouble finding where you got lost in order to create this strawman. Let me try a simplified restatement:

P1) There exist differences between Fighter and Warblade that are not power/versatility differences. Aka mechanical texture differences.
    P2) There exists players that have different preferences when it comes to mechanical textures.
    C1) Therefore we cannot conclude that all players would prefer Warblade over Fighter.
    P3) There exist players that prefer Fighter's mechanical texture over Warblade's mechanical texture
    P4) All players prefer better designed power/versatility
    C2) There exist players that prefer Fighter Fixes over Fighters
    C3) There exist players that prefer fixing Fighter over using Warblade

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    See, this is a position I can respect, because it's the same reason I prefer to play melee characters over casters: Sometimes, you just want to play that character. And that's fine. De gustibus non est disputandum; in matters of taste, there can be no disputes.

The problem is when people branch from "And that's why I like X over Y," into "And that's why they should have fixed X instead of creating Y. We didn't need Y. We have X." You lose me there.
    Surprisingly this forum sees "And that's why I like X over Y" as "And that's why they should have fixed X instead of creating Y" and criticizes it as such. Well that, and the inability to conceive why someone might prefer Ftr over WarB.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-10 at 01:45 PM.